Warden Healer - PvE, Trials Ready (Morrowind)

Spoiler: Changelog

• June 9, 2017 - Changed CP setup
  • May 25, 2017 - Changed around a few skills, added some information about passives.
  • May 22, 2017 - Build posted

Introduction

Hello! I'm Marron, a long-time MMO player who mains a healer on ESO. I had a chance to play in the Morrowind Beta (even though I am a PS4 player), and I spent a lot of time playing around with the different skills offered by the new Warden class.

I would like to start this by saying that I believe the Warden will be strong in endgame PvE only when paired with a Templar healer. Wardens and Templars have skills that compliment one another nicely, but you are missing out on a lot of burst healing and other healing necessities for trials when you limit yourself to only using Wardens.

The Basics

Race: I have always preferred Breton for my healer because of the reduced cost and extra spell resistance passives, but both High Elf and Argonian are also a good choice.

Food: I suggest using Witchmothers Brew Drink or Orzorga's Red Frothgar instead of max health/magicka food. The magicka regen component of both of these drinks is very important to help with sustain.

Potions: Spell power potions (spell damage, spell critical, magicka restoration - made with Cornflower, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth)

Poisons: Breaching poison on your back bar is an amazing thing. It can be created with Beetle Scuttle and either Lady's Smock or Violet Coprinus, and lasts 10 seconds. You can proc it through use of your Lightning Blockade.

Vampire: If you are having trouble with your Magicka recovery, being a vampire will certainly help with this.

Mundus Stone: Thief Stone for extra crit %, or else Atronach Stone for extra recovery if you are having resource management issues.

Stat Point Distribution: I put 14 points into health and the rest into Magicka. Because healers wear 7 light pieces, you don't get the stat bonus from the Undaunted Mettle passive, and staying alive with 12k health can be pretty tough as that puts you solidly into one-shot range.

Champion Points

Champion Points for a Warden healer are not dissimilar to those of a Templar healer. Based on 630 CP, your points should be distributed similarly to this:

Warrior

• 20 Ironclad
  • 20 Spell Shield
  • 20 Thick Skinned
  • 75 Hardy
  • 75 Elemental Defender

Thief

• 28 Warlord
  • 75 Arcanist
  • 75 Tenacity
  • 32 Mooncalf

(lots of break free mechanics in HoF, so that’s why I have put points into Warlord and Mooncalf)

Mage

• 75 Blessed
  • 100 Elfborn (still gives you 25%)
  • 23 Elemental Expert
  • 12 Spell Erosion

(Adding points into Elemental Expert and Spell Erosion gives you a little more flexibility so that you can also dps and have fun on this character when you're not in trials without having to completely respec your CP every time.)

Gear

Gear for a Warden healer is the same as a Templar healer. 5 pieces of Spell Power Cure, 5 pieces of either Worm or Healing Mage (AKA Mending).

Front bar should be a Master Resto Staff (preferably with an Infused trait, though Powered would be good, too), and a Master Lightning Staff on the back bar with a Charged trait. You could also go for a Maelstrom Lightning Staff, but I prefer the increased Max Magicka that you receive from a Master staff.

Skills

Here you can see that I have put together a list of Templar Skills vs. Warden skills, which will let you see how using a Templar and a Warden together for healing is a great choice because of the way the skills mesh together:

[spoiler title="Templar Buff/Debuffs vs. Warden Buff/Debuffs"][/spoiler]

That said, you will see that the healing Warden does not have a couple of skills you usually put on a Templar, but it also relieves the Templar of one or two responsibilities to help with resource management.

Front Bar - Resto Staff

• Healing Springs or Purge - Standard HoT heal. For the first boss in Halls of Fabrication, you don't need Healing Springs as you are basically spamming light/heavy attack weaves and Purge. I would suggest keeping Budding Seeds on the back bar and replacing Healing Springs with Purge for this one boss fight only.
  • Blue Betty - Restores magicka to the user constantly over 22 seconds and grants them Major Sorcery (this is a MUST HAVE skill!). We put this on the front bar because of the Flourish passive in the Animal Companion tree increases your Magicka and Stamina recovery by 12% if you have an Animal Companion ability slotted.
  • Enchanted Growth - An instant heal that gives targets (aka you and your party members) Minor Intelect and Minor Endurance for extra resource regen.
  • Combat Prayer - An instant heal that grants Minor Berserk (extra damage), Minor Resolve, and Minor Ward
  • Harness Magicka or Ward Ally - Everyone needs a shield, even healers.
  • Ultimate: Northern Storm - Passives from the frost tree of Warden skills means slotting Northern Storm gives you +8% max magicka. It also gives Major Protection, which stacks with the Templar Solar Prison's Major Maim.

Back Bar - Lightning Staff w/Breaching poison

• Expansive Frost Cloak - casts Major Resolve and Major Ward. A Warden off-tank will likely use the other morph of this, but the skill only covers 6 people. So while the off-tank is up front cloaking melee and main tank, you'll be in the back, cloaking the other healer and the ranged damage dealers.
  • Budding Seeds or Purge - A delayed HoT with a synergy. If you cast it twice, it will heal instantly (but since you're using Healing Springs, you should not need to). Alternatively, you could replace this with Purge as needed.
  • Lotus Blossom or Elemental Drain - Lotus Blossom is another great skill because when you do light or heavy attacks, it will heal the person in the party with the lowest health. Since you'll need a little extra heavy attacking for resource management, this is helpful. This is, of course, assuming that the other healer will be using Radiant Aura or Elemental Drain. If not, you will need to give up this slot for Elemental Drain.
  • Energy Orb - We don't have shards, so this is the next best thing.
  • Blockade of Storms - Lightning blockade will apply your breaching poison and the lightning damage knocks targets off-balance
  • Ultimate: War Horn - Major Force, a must have for healers and tanks.

Passives

Generally, I like to get the passives in all of the skill trees of the skills I use. That's pretty standard, I think. I thought I would list some of the important healing passives from the Warden skill trees here and what they do:

• Flourish (Animal Companion) - Increase your Magicka Recovery and Stamina Recovery by 12% if an Animal Companion ability is slotted
  • Accelerated Growth (Green Balance) - When healing you or an ally under 40% Health with a Green Balance ability gain Major Mending, increasing your healing done by 25% for 3 seconds.
  • Emerald Moss (Green Balance) - Increase Healing Done for Green Balance abilities by 2% for each Green Balance ability slotted.
  • Maturation (Green Balance) - When healing you or an ally with a Green Balance ability, grant them Minor Toughness, which increases Max Health by 10% for 20 seconds.

Basically, you want all of the passives from Animal Companions, Green Balance, Winters Embrace, Light Armor, Destruction Staff, Restoration Staff, Fighter's Guild, Mage's Guild, Racial, Undaunted, and Vampire (if you choose to become a vampire). You will also want the Medicinal Use passive from Alchemy, which makes potion effects last 30% longer, and Connoisseur from the Provisioning line that adds 20 minutes to the duration of any drink you consume. Both Witch Mother's Brew and Orzorga's Red Frothgar are drinks, not food.

---------------

The Warden healer is probably something better left to a player who is already familiar with Templar healing. It will take a little bit of getting used to, but it is quite fun! Thank you for taking the time to read this. :)

About MarronMarvel:

MarronMarvel hasn't shared anything about themselves.

FrancisCrawford

Contributor3062 Posts

Why Breton over High Elf? Have you worked through the regen vs. cost reduction trade-off?

General tips

A sorcerer leveling guide

MarronMarvel

FrancisCrawford wrote on May 22, 2017

Honestly, I'm sure the regen from Altmer would be helpful as well! I just have always played a Breton healer, so that's what I tested on the PTS. I will add Altmer to the list of races. Thanks for the input. :)

Just a couple of points from a quick glance.

Does the Blue Betty really warrants a slot on the bar? With Spell Power potion (I assume you use them on cooldown, because you don't have a source of Major Prophecy), the Major Sorcery isn't really needed; furthermore, the magicka return is rather small, even if the skill itself is free. The recovery from passive is nice, but there may be a better utility skill.

Northern Storm grants Major Protection; Solar Prison grants Major Maim.

What is your rationale for the omission of Combat Prayer and Elemental Drain?

What is your stat benchmark with food buff?

MarronMarvel

Latin wrote on May 23, 2017

Just a couple of points from a quick glance.

Does the Blue Betty really warrants a slot on the bar? With Spell Power potion (I assume you use them on cooldown, because you don’t have a source of Major Prophecy), the Major Sorcery isn’t really needed; furthermore, the magicka return is rather small, even if the skill itself is free. The recovery from passive is nice, butthere may be a better utility skill.

MarronMarvel said on May 22, 2017 :

Ultimate: Northern Storm – Passives from the frost tree of Warden skills means slotting Northern Storm gives you +8% max magicka. It also gives Minor Protection, which stacks with the Templar Solar Prison’s Minor Maim.

Northern Storm grants Major Protection; Solar Prison grants Major Maim.

What is your rationale for the omission of Combat Prayer and Elemental Drain?

What is your stat benchmark with food buff?

The Blue Betty is absolutely necessary. It not only gives you Major Sorcery but constantly replenishes your magicka while it is up. It is one of the reasons that sustain on a Warden is viable.

I will correct the typos about Northern Storm and Solar prison, thanks!

The rationale behind the omission of combat prayer is that, as I have said in multiple places, this is a build meant to work with a Templar healer, not as a solo healer. Combat Prayer has a 20m x 8m radius, which is more than enough for 1 healer to buff the entire raid party. Meanwhile, as a Warden you are using Expansive Frost Cloak, to grant Major Resolve and Major Ward, which will stack with the Minor Resolve and Minor Ward from Combat Prayer. If you prefer to have Combat Prayer, I would say replace Bursting Vines with Combat Prayer, or else put Bursting Vines on your back bar instead of Frost Cloak and put Combat Prayer on your front bar. In regard to a lack of Elemental Drain, please see my thoughts about Lotus Blossom, where I say, "This is, of course, assuming that the other healer will be using Radiant Aura or Elemental Drain. If not, you will need to give up this slot for Elemental Drain."

MarronMarvel

Oh, and I am at work, so I can't tell you exact stats, @Latin, but I was somewhere around 35k magicka, 16.5k health, and 1950 regen with Atronach stone. But this was also on the PTS, where I do not have my optimal gear because I play on the PS4, not the PC. That's about on par for a healer, though. Health is much lower because we are wearing 7 light and don't get the Undaunted bonus. Magicka could be higher, but I threw 14 points into Health instead of all 64 into magicka.

N0n4m3

why you have spell erosion on healer?

DrakeSilvermane

Nice run down of the warden, good to see the rational of skills.

Just wanted to add, the main reason to front bar the betty is having an animal companion skill slotted gives 12% resource regen through the passive - essential this patch

Combat prayer should be worked in as it only buffs 6 people, so the other templar cant buff the entire raid, both healers should run it :)

Personally i would drop budding seeds and enchanted growth and add inner light on front and combat prayer on back bar. Inners +5% mag max from the skill + 2% from passive and +2% regen from passive far out weighs those 2 skills in my eyes. The extra max magicka will boost the power of your heals significantly and help with regen from synergies

Personally the reason to have a warden healer is the minor toughness passive and frost cloak armour buff. Everything else is just jazz

MarronMarvel

DrakeSilvermane wrote on May 25, 2017

Nice run down of the warden, good to see the rational of skills.

Just wanted to add, the main reason to front bar the betty is having an animal companion skill slotted gives 12% resource regen through the passive – essential this patch

Thanks for the positive feedback! I didn't realize that Combat Prayer only affected 6 people, so yes, it must definitely go in there. However, since the back bar is a lightning bar, it can't go there. :) I need to go back through and list the passives and what they do as well, as I think that would definitely help to clarify the importance of the blue betty.

DrakeSilvermane

Ah yes, destro back bar. How did i miss that xD

Definitely think your updated bars is how i will run mine. GG

Lord-Marshal

Is it really worth it to go to 100 in any CP ability? I read a breakdown that said that 56 is only 2% behind 100 if I remember right. The thread mentioned break points that you don't actually get the bonus stated until you hit that break point.

Kozai

Lord-Marshal wrote on May 29, 2017

Is it really worth it to go to 100 in any CP ability? I read a breakdown that said that 56 is only 2% behind 100 if I remember right. The thread mentioned break points that you don’t actually get the bonus stated until you hit that break point.

Since the CPs bonuses now actually show to the hundredth's place after the decimal, you can see when you pass a whole number percentage now.  My understanding is that the game rounds down, so 11.85% = 11%, and 12.12% = 12%.  Thus, like you, I looked at the new severely diminishing returns for the last 40-50 points in things like Blessed and decided to buy up other skills instead.  Particularly if you might want to run the character as dps for a dungeon, and healer for a trial or something I thought it could be worth having 6-8% in an alternative rather than the last 1-2% in a "healing only" skill.  I ended up spreading across a wider range of skills than I had before.

katorga

Agree. The healing CP are severely inefficient at this point.

I tend to look at racial passives as how much the equal in terms of CP allocation.

Argonian healing passives are around 38 CP which frees up a lot to invest in other areas while still getting healing boosts.

Altmer 9% regen equals around 37CP. so about equal to Argonian, but if you throw in the 170ish mag/stam regen that the potion passive gives, the CP equivalence of Argonian passives is pretty massive, but Altmer closes the gap some when you include the CP it would take to get a 4% damage increase.

MarronMarvel

I've actually updated my CP in the live server, but I haven't been on a computer to update this build. I'm currently running:

Warrior: 20 ironclad, 20 spell shield, 20 thick skinned, 75 hardy, 75 elemental defender

Thief: 28 warlord, 75 arcanist, 75 tenacity, 32 mooncalf (lots of break free mechanics in HoF, so that's why warlord and mooncalf)

Mage: 75 blessed, 100 elfborn (still gives you 25%), 23 elemental expert, 12 spell erosion.

ziaodix

I personally opted for Ice Fortress over Expansive Frost Cloak due to the 6 player limit and the fact as a healer I'm typically standing very close to the dps anyway. The added protection of Minor Protection to me means I can focus even less on myself (which is always a good thing when you aren't having to worry as much about staying alive, because a dead healer isn't a good thing) and more on the group, either buffing them or debuffing the enemy.

Just my 2 cents.

Skojec

Hello. Question on the gear?   The gear triat would be divines correct?   And the enchantment for the gear.  Would you go all max magic enchants or flex health in place?

MarronMarvel

Skojec wrote on July 7, 2017

Hello. Question on the gear? The gear triat would be divines correct? And the enchantment for the gear. Would you go all max magic enchants or flex health in place?

Hi! I have all Divines on my SPC/Mending/Worm because that's what I had on my OG Templar healer, and I wasn't feeling like farming and golding out any of those sets again. That said, I am also currently trying out Mending and Master Architect on my warden healer, and I have chest and legs in Infused for that. I put 14 points into health and the rest into magicka, and use all magicka glyphs, but you could easily switch things around and use some health glyphs instead.

Skojec

Question have you thought about using.

5 piece Necropotence.

(2 items) Adds 967 Max Magicka

(3 items) Adds 967 Max Magicka

(4 items) Adds 967 Max Magicka

(5 items) While you have pets active, increase Max Magicka by 4000

5 piece Seducer

(2 items) Adds 129 Magicka Recovery

• (3 items) Adds 967 Max Magicka
    • (4 items) Adds 129 Magicka Recovery
    • (5 items) Reduce the Magicka cost of abilities by 8%.

your traits and enchantments helped out a lot with my healer but I did put in 2 health glyphs for the chest and legs for the extra health.

xMolly

As I am a new player, could you explain why you use some of these things, and what food you would recommend for me to use as a Magicka warden healer?

Im also have an issue with even with food, once I get 17K health I get 1 shot.

Signed,