The Purifying Mage - Magicka Templar DPS PvE Build

The Purifying Mage

(UPDATED Rotation: Jan 12th 2017)

(Potion active during screenshot above)

Templar has always been my favorite class. I wanted to make a Magicka Templar DPS viable, and non-melee. It took me a while, but I'm quite happy with what I came up with. Hopefully next patch Templar will be even better. The rotation isn't too hard, but it's a touch more difficult than a sorcs rotation. The two skills you want to track are Channeled Focus (apply every other bar swap) and Vampires Bane (apply in three different ways as outlined in rotation section)

Note: Asylum Staff is BiS for this build, but Infal is about 1.5k loss, so still works well.

Another note: Channeled Focus and Heavy Attack is our main sustain. It's not a huge deal if you move out of channeled focus, (which will happen) so don't really worry about staying in it too much as the buff lasts 8sec when outside of it and you'll be casting it every other bar swap, if you really want you can cast every barswap without too much DPS loss. Even without 100% uptime on channeled focus, your sustain will be fine. If you really want, add a magicka recovery glyph to your jewelry, but i found it's not really needed. All parses btw are done without elemental drain magicka return.

The Build:

Attributes: All into Magicka

Armor: 5pc Mother’s Sorrow (All Divines), 2pc Illambris (All Divines, One Med, One Heavy) (See Superstar Screenshot)

Jewelry: 3pc Infal (All Spell Damage Enchant - Channeled Focus is our main sustain) (See Superstar Screenshot)

Weapons: 1pc Inferno Infal Staff (Infused Flame Enchant)-  1pc Lightning vMA Staff (Infused Shock Enchant) (See Superstar Screenshot)

Potions: Essence of Spell Power

Food: Blue Magicka and Health Food

Bar Setup: (See Superstar Screenshot, but replace Force Pulse with Fire Clench)

Inferno Staff:

Fire Clench - Purifying Light - Channeled Focus - InnerLight - Radiant Oppression - [Aedric Spear Ultimate]

Lighting Staff:

Elemental Blockade - Blazing Spear - Vampires Bane - Inner Light - Shield - [Elemental Rage Ultimate]

Rotation: (Potions and Destro Ult on Cooldown)

PreCombat: Channeled Focus -> Ultimate -> BSpear -> LA -> EBlockade -> LA -> VBane -> BarSwap

(UPDATED Rotation: Jan 12th 2017)

Basic > 10% Health Rotation {Cast Channeled Focus Every Rotation}

LA -> Fire Clench -> LA -> PLight -> LA -> Channeled Focus -> BarSwap

HA -> EBlockade -> LA -> BSpear -> LA -> VBane -> BarSwap

(REPEAT)

Execute <  10% Health Rotation

EBlockade -> ROppresion Spam (Repeat)

Champion Points: (See Superstar Screenshot)

Parse without Asylum Staff: (using 4pc Infal)

About JKith:

JKith hasn't shared anything about themselves.

I assume the order of weapon for the front bar goes as Perfected Asylum -> Infallible -> Moondancer -> Asylum -> others?

How does Mother's Sorrow compare to Julianos?

JKith

Contributor233 Posts

For this Templar build , mothers sorrow out performs Julianos by a decent amount, I assume because of the additional 10% Crit damage passive.

The order of staffs in my testing is:

Perfected Asylum -> Asylum/Infal (so close its tough to tell, the margin of error from parse to parse is equal or less than the difference between these two) -> Moondancer 4pc -> Others

- The White Mage Oramago

”The elements that permeate all living things is the elemental source of my power.”

JKith wrote on January 3, 2018

The order of staffs in my testing is:

I see, yes, probably because of that.

Thanks for the clarification on the staves.

ExpatJohnny

Wow. Just stumbled across your build. It is almost the exact same rotation I came up with after multiple rounds of testing and respecing. Funny to see someone else do such a similar setup. As for gear I am currently running 5pc Julianos/5pc Destruction Mastery/1pc Ice Heart. With 1 infused staff and one nirnhoned staff. My char isn't up to 690 yet, so I cannot compare but I will once I reach that level. If it doesn't perform as well I will definitely seek out your gear. Awesome setup ideas!

JKith

Contributor233 Posts

Hey all, I updated the rotation, it got MUCH more simple, safer (channeled focus each barswap) and MORE DPS. I'm really liking this new rotation.

- The White Mage Oramago

Eshaya

Wow, really awesome build! Hope I can get a nice build like that in the future.

Would you use a Master's Inferno staff for the front bar now?

JKith

Contributor233 Posts
    Latin wrote on January 12, 2018

Would you use a Master’s Inferno staff for the front bar now?

Good question! -- Worthy of a test.

- The White Mage Oramago

Runefang

Thanks for this build! I love the Templar class too so I'll definitely be trying this out.

JKith

Contributor233 Posts
    Latin wrote on January 12, 2018

Would you use a Master’s Inferno staff for the front bar now?

My conclusion: A master's staff isn't as good, it's a small loss in DPS. -- The best thing you get from the masters staff is extra sustain, which is quite noticeable. The extra damage done to clench with a masters staff is less than the extra spell damage does to all the other abilities, including Radiant Oppression execute, which the masters staff is useless for.

- The White Mage Oramago

wesmont

Hi there, i have to say that i really like your build and your rotation. I was working on another rotation which involved Rearming Traps, meaning a more melee approach, and i have to say I like yours way better.

Question though, I still don't have any trail gear or vMA weapons. In that case, which will be the best possible setup till I get them? 2 Ilambris, 5 Sorrow, 3 Willpower jewels and 2 random staves?

JKith wrote on January 17, 2018

My conclusion: A master’s staff isn’t as good, it’s a small loss in DPS. — The best thing you get from the masters staff is extra sustain, which is quite noticeable. The extra damage done to clench with a masters staff is less than the extra spell damage does to all the other abilities, including Radiant Oppression execute, which the masters staff is useless for.

Thanks for sharing your finding.

Yes, the sustain is a strong point with the Master's Staff, especially given my hesitation with using Clench because of its prohibitively high cost.

I agree with your point about the loss of the 4th bonus of IA when opting for Master's Staff, which will affect all the other skills. In principle, the issue should also affect the Moondancer-Master's Staff comparison, though perhaps limited by my imperfect weaving with an inferno staff, the difference in my tests is negligible. Nonetheless, I guess it's a nice to have options between slightly better damage and slightly better sustain.

Altyrann

I found very little difference here between Master's Inferno Staff and 4pc IA. Looking ahead to the next DLC though, if we get improved heavy attack regeneration every so often from off balance targets and use Radiant for longer if the fix is effective, I would expect IA to pull further ahead.

On an unrelated note, if you can afford to drop harness and be in melee, have you tried slotting rearming trap and alternating between that and channeled for each rotation. That gave me quite a nice uplift in damage.

JKith

Contributor233 Posts
    wesmont wrote on January 18, 2018

Question though, I still don’t have any trail gear or vMA weapons. In that case, which will be the best possible setup till I get them? 2 Ilambris, 5 Sorrow, 3 Willpower jewels and 2 random staves?

I haven't tested specifically, but..., on a similar setup with my sorc, using willpower and dropping the vMA staff doing a 2 Ilambris, 5 Sorrow and 3 Willpower setup dropped about 5k DPS. So you should be able to make 30k+ with that setup.

- The White Mage Oramago

JKith

Contributor233 Posts
    Altyrann wrote on January 18, 2018

I found very little difference here between Master’s Inferno Staff and 4pc IA. Looking ahead to the next DLC though, if we get improved heavy attack regeneration every so often from off balance targets and use Radiant for longer if the fix is effective, I would expect IA to pull further ahead.

I really dislike Melee gameplay, for me personally. I love the ranged Wizard/Mage setup so I haven't tested any melee setup. I haven't tried the ranged version of rearming trap though, might be worthy of a good test.

- The White Mage Oramago

Altyrann

JKith wrote on January 19, 2018

Altyrann said on January 18, 2018 :

I really dislike Melee gameplay, for me personally. I love the ranged Wizard/Mage setup so I haven’t tested any melee setup. I haven’t tried the ranged version of rearming trap though, might be worthy of a good test.

You can probably swap in whatever you like to be honest. Channeled Focus every other rotation should give full uptime, so then you can use what you like on the alternate rotations. I use entropy, but that's because I am cheap and hate using potions!

JKith

Contributor233 Posts
    Altyrann wrote on January 19, 2018

JKith said on January 19, 2018 :

You can probably swap in whatever you like to be honest. Channeled Focus every other rotation should give full uptime, so then you can use what you like on the alternate rotations. I use entropy, but that’s because I am cheap and hate using potions!

I find that in real situations, casting every rotation is needed for high uptime. Red circles usually like to be placed right where channeled focus is :) -- You can change it up if you want, but I find casting each rotation (unless it's truly just a stand in place and DPS situation) is needed.

- The White Mage Oramago

Ghnami

@JKith I think something that a lot of templars forget is the long duration of the buff after you leave the zone. If you just strafe in and out of the zone as the duration ticks down to 1-3 seconds, it is very easy to really maximize the benefit of the buff. The circle lasts 18 seconds, and the buff 8 seconds outside of circle. You only need 7 ticks (3.5 seconds) to make the magika back, so every time you cast it you'll be gaining net magika, but if you can make the buff last the full 26 seconds you'll gain over 5k magika more than the spell costs. In fact in nearly every case, you'll be better off running back into the circle if it is still up than recasting, even if you missed a few seconds on the buff. Since this is ranged, you should have no issue in many situations positioning yourself so you can get 20+ seconds of the buff.

Always down to chat in-game. IGN: Ghnami

JKith

Contributor233 Posts

I thought only the defense (Major resolve and ward) stays active when leaving the circle and for the magicka return you have to stay inside the circle.

Guess I just assumed that and didn't test it....

- The White Mage Oramago

Ghnami

haha I haven't tested it either and assumed the other way...

Always down to chat in-game. IGN: Ghnami