The Paladin - End Game Tank/Healer (DB Updated)

The Paladin

So I finally updated it, Current 6/22/16

Overview

I wanted to create a end game tank that could heal while tanking some of the hardest 4 man content in the game. And I wanted to test how Extreme I could take the concept of a "Buff Bar' to. So I created this magicka tank and found that it works very well. Also note this is a extremely active playstyle so you need to keep your buffs going

Race

The Race is pretty flexible on this due to the fact that Any race that does either Tanking or Magicka well will excel at this setup. But with that being said there is top race choices like any other build

1- Imperial - With the biggest increase to your base stats over any other race it's hard to say no to that

2- Breton - Being the almost de facto magigka templar race it's not too much diffrent here

That being said my toon is a breton because he was a normal healer before I switched to this setup and if ever given the chance I will swtch to Imperial, which will probably require switching to Arcane jewelry and rebalancing my stats thou attributes

Attributes

I currently have all 64 points into magicka but depending on your race and jewelry you may want to set it up differently. Just try to hit 27k+ health and 15k+ stamina and then put everything else into magicka.

Mundus Stone

I am using the Atronach Stone due to the fact I need the extra recovery it supplies. I also use Apprentice from time to time when I only tanking as you don't use nearly as much magicka

Gear

Now onto the good stuff, the one thing nice about this build is all the gear is craftable so you can look however you want and it's kinda easily accessible. It is however all 8 and 9 trait crafted gear so not that easy craft. My current setup is using a 1 Piece Kenna and I have both setups below

Buffed Stats (Food, Armor Master buff, Armor buff up, And TriStat Potion drank, Max Fury, Rage Enchant)

So my Armor Setup is

Head              - Kagrenac's Hope - Heavy     - Infused      - Prismatic(TriStat)

Chest              - Armor Master     - Heavy    - Infused     - Prismatic(TriStat)

Shoulders        - Kagrenac's Hope - Heavy    - Reinforced - Stamina

Waist              - Kagrenac's Hope - Light     - Divines      - Stamina

Hands             - Kagrenac's Hope - Medium - Divines      - Stamina

Legs               - Armor Master     - Heavy     - Infused      - Prismatic(TriStat)

Feet                - Armor Master     - Heavy    - Reinforced - Stamina

Bar 1&2 Shield - Armor Master     - Infused     - Prismatic(TriStat)

Bar 1 Weapon  - Kagrenac's Hope - Infused     - Rage

Bar 2 Weapon  - Armor Master      - Infused    - Crushing

Necklace          - Willpower          - Healthy      - Magicka Recovery (Might get away with less recovery but haven't tested)

Ring 1             - Willpower          - Healthy      - Magicka Recovery

Ring 2             - Willpower          - Healthy      - Magicka Recovery

The weapon traits and enchants can be whatever, I currently use enchants listed but you may find something that works better for you. So the armor is setup so you have 5 Kagernac's on the front bar and 5 Armor Master on the back buff bar. My current Armor is all gold so if you end up with less stats than me it is because of the difference of gold gear and CP, yes CP adds to your main stat pools

My Kenna Armor Setup

Buffed Stats (Food, Armor Master buff, Armor buff up, And TriStat Potion drank, and Major Prophecy, Max Furry, Rage Enchant)

Head              – Molag Kenna – Heavy     – Infused      – Prismatic(TriStat)

Chest              – Armor Master     – Heavy    – Infused     – Prismatic(TriStat)

Shoulders        – Kagrenac’s Hope – Heavy    – Reinforced – Stamina

Waist              – Kagrenac’s Hope – Light     – Divines      – Stamina

Hands             – Kagrenac’s Hope – Medium – Divines      – Stamina

Legs               – Armor Master     – Heavy     – Infused      – Prismatic(TriStat)

Feet                – Armor Master     – Heavy    – Reinforced – Stamina

Bar 1 Weapon  – Kagrenac’s Hope - Infused   - Rage

Bar 1 Shield    – Kagrenac's Hope – Infused     – Prismatic(TriStat)

Bar 2 Weapon  – Armor Master     - Infused   - Crushing

Bar 2 Shield    – Armor Master     – Infused     – Prismatic(TriStat)

Necklace          – Willpower          – Healthy      – Magicka Recovery (Might get away with less recovery but haven’t tested)

Ring 1             – Willpower          – Healthy      – Magicka Recovery

Ring 2             – Willpower          – Healthy      – Magicka Recovery

This new setup with Kenna trades some Spell Resist for some extra spell damage. I was trying to get a Heavy Reinforced Kenna shoulder as I am not a fan of the head but RNGjesus has never gave me ANY heavy kenna shoulders so I got a Heavy infused head.

Skill Bars

Now being a very versatile class that the templar is, a lot of skills can be swapped for different skills depending on the different situations. Any good healer already does this

Bar 1

Puncturing Sweeps - Maybe the best skill in the game?? With enough CP and armor buffs up and heal though a lot of boss's damage while doing damage.

Also you need a Aedric to proc the passive

Pierce Armor - You're a tank, you need a Taunt

Repentance - Buff's your recoveries passively and as long as there's adds or one person is running Engine Guardian then you won't have any stamina issues

Breath of Life - Your main heal

Structured Entropy - Main spell power buff and the added health helps ease the diffrent health values between the bar's. And empower is alwasy nice. This                                     ability gets switched out sometime for certain situations like Radiant Destruction on the inhibiter

Shooting Star - This build can keep most targets quite stationary so you can do some decent damage with this, just make sure to empower with entropy before                        use. Also the magicka controller passive helps

Bar 2

Blazing Shield - Good ability on a tank but this abilty gets switch out for Shards alot depending on team comp. Also need a Aedric ability for the passives

Inner Rage - Ranged taunt, need I say more. This is your true float slot when you think you won't need a ranged taunt. Abilities like Cleansing Ritual or                              Vampire's Bane work very well here

Purifying Light - Contributes damage to the team and you will be in the healing puddle 90% of the time. So make sure the enemy always has a skylight on                               them. Plus it gives your team Minor Sorcery

Channeled Focus - This skill is amazing for a tank. It gives you your major armor buffs, It's gives you a bunch of recovery, It makes your Breath of Life hit 30%                            harder. And since you can usually dictate when the fight is gonna happen you can be in your saftey circle most of the time

Harness Magicka - Used to proc the Armor Master passive but it also gives you a decent amount of survivability against some bosses and some free magicka

Aggressive Horn - Most of the time you will be running with 3 DPS so this skill will add ALOT of damage to your team and if you have to tank the enemy for                               less time it makes things a lot easier

Other Skills

Shards - Can go where Blazing Shield is when the stam DPS are needy

Sun Fire(and its morphs) - When you don't need that Ranged Taunt the Major Prophecy is nice

Ritual of Retribution - Good skill for a Hot and a AOE slow

Remembrance - For Certain boss attacks that BoL doesn't cut it for

Solar Disturbance - Nice Mitigation but I usually use Warhorn to kill things Faster

Barrier - If I had Support 9 for the Passive I would Run this on the front bar and always use Apprentice

Toppling Charge - Good when you want that extra mobiility

Champion Points

Now this can change alot depending on person to person and what they find works well for them, but this is how i currently have my 466 Champion Points. Also I don't think this build is for the people who have low amount of Champion Points but it should still work very well

Warrior

46 Hardy - Good Damage mitigation

46 Elemental Defender -  Soo much fire damage in the game

48 Quick Recovery - Your health moves ALOT and this helps it more in the right direction

27 Bastion - Now that Harness Magicka absorbs physical too and you hit that skill every 10 sec and 10% boost is nice

Also I like the 75 point passive Revival in the lord because if you go down shit has hit the fan and the Revival passive help clean the shit off the fan faster

Thief

75 Magician - You cast ALOT so reduction works really well and pairs well with Channeled Focus

75 Arcanist - Recovery is very helpful lol and that Synergizer Passive is always nice

17 Tumbling - Cuz rolling around is fun.....

Mage

100 Blessed - More heals..... nuf said

67 Elemental Expert - Buff up the Sweeps damage nicely and thus more sweeps heals

Rotation

So this build requires a lot of bar swapping(oh how I <3 my Elite Controller) and you will need to know the boss fights well if you are trying to be the tank and the healer. So if you are fairly new to the game play as just a tank and you will do fine and as you get more comfortable try losing the dedicated healer.

So most fights allow you to keep the boss pretty stationary so keep your safety circle down at all times. Other than that it's keeping your 3 other buff's up, and those are Purifying Light, Harness Magicka(Armor Master buff is 10 sec), and your Entropy buff. other than that cycling between Sweeps and Breath to keep you and your team alive

Also It's now more important than ever to light weave you sweeps because of the new rage enchant

And here is a Video of me Tanking and healing Molag Kenna At VR16 with 3 DPS and no shard gliching

About Kiiiddd:

Kiiiddd hasn't shared anything about themselves.

Casualguy

I like it! Good explanation, seems like a well balanced build. Plus your outfit is really cool paladinish. :D

Valrien

A couple of questions, if you don't mind.

1. Would you swap Harness for Shuffle in fights with bosses that don't have magical attacks?

2. I really like Inner Light, the critical and the magicka is really useful. Are there two skills you could drop to include it if I wanted to fit it into my build?

3. Would Nova be a good alternative to Shooting Star? It seems like the mitigation would be useful in slightly worse groups or moments when things go a bit sour.

(also, if you're not sure what else to spec into other than Elfborn, consider Thaumaturge. It'll increase your magic damage. You also might want to consider making enough room for 30 points into the Atronach tree for the riposte passive.)

Characters: Valrien Dravic (Dunmer Magicka Sorcerer)

Scores: vMA (499,956) (Probably Null Now)

RoyalTactics

Is your 16k stamina from your CPs and food only?

PRIMALmarauder

Valrien wrote on January 7, 2016

A couple of questions, if you don’t mind.

1. Would you swap Harness for Shuffle in fights with bosses that don’t have magical attacks?

(also, if you’re not sure what else to spec into other than Elfborn, consider Thaumaturge. It’ll increase your magic damage. You also might want to consider making enough room for 30 points into the Atronach tree for the riposte passive.)

I'm sure that Kiiiddd will answer these but I thought I might share my input.

1. I think you have a good point here. Skill bars should always be switched for certain situations. Shuffle would still give the armor master passive and provide a helpful defensive ability. However, one problem I see with this is the cost of stamina. With stam recovery of 700, stamina should probably be saved for blocking, cc breaking, and dodge rolls, which IMO is a better use of stamina. With magicka recovery of 2k (2.5k with channeled focus) it's ok to use harness magicka, if only to proc armor master.

2. I believe inner light would be a waste of 2 slots on this build. With spell critical rating of 25.5%, this build shows no desire to rely on crits in any way. As the dedicated tank, he will be taking 90% of damage and being in channeled focus rune his heals are basically always critting.

3. I think Solar Prison would be good to slot here sometimes. Maybe Kiiiddd has no problems mitigating damage and decided to help contribute to the DPS with his ultimate.

For the champion point thing you mentioned, I think Kiiiddd should pump 75 points into apprentice for the Foresight passive which would be helpful and then start putting points into Atronach for Riposte. After reaching Riposte, I agree that he should start putting all future points into Thaumaturge for punturing sweep damage.

PRIMALmarauder

RoyalTactics wrote on January 7, 2016

Is your 16k stamina from your CPs and food only?

It looks like Kiiiddd has 3 Prismatic glyphs on the 3 large infused armor pieces. This will also add stamina.

RoyalTactics

Ah right. Any idea how much those cost?

HieroGlyph

Great guide.  I actually theory-crafted this armor setup 2 months ago but originally wanted to use Shroud of the Lich in place of Kagrenac's; it's just too rare at v16 to be viable though.  If you use 1H/S & DW you can actually squeeze in a piece of Molag Kena as well.  This would help with the burn phases but you would lose the spell resistance from Armor Master when on your DW bar.  Likewise you would lose Kag's health bonus when on your 1H/S but you can use a health enchant on your shield to offset this.  Anyway, it depends how much you can afford to DPS to make these changes viable. If you won't be DPSing much then your outlined build is perfect.

Also, it would be worth noting that you can swap in Evasion for Harness Magicka for specific fights.

Valrien

PRIMALmarauder wrote on January 7, 2016

Valrien said on January 7, 2016 :

A couple of questions, if you don’t mind.

I’m sure that Kiiiddd will answer these but I thought I might share my input.

1. I think you have a good point here. Skill bars should always be switched for certain situations. Shufflewould still give the armor master passive and provide a helpful defensive ability. However, one problem I see with this is the cost of stamina. With stam recovery of 700, stamina should probably be savedfor blocking, cc breaking, and dodge rolls, which IMO is a better use of stamina. With magicka recovery of 2k (2.5k with channeled focus) it’s ok to use harness magicka, if only to proc armor master.

1. I believe that in the long run it saves more stamina than it costs because the dodge prods quite often and if you're blocking a hit that was dodged already then the stam isn't used.

2. Inner Light not only provides Crit but a net 7% magicka and 2% magicka regen (2% each for having it slotted + another 5% magicka for having it active). I think that this would be VERY helpful and a good reason to have it slotted

3. No comment.

I personally think Foresight is a useless passive. That's -80% spell cost for one spell every 45 seconds (assuming your potions are used on cool down). Not worth the investment if you're not going for that many points anyways (which he most likely would have it anyways, but it's more of a side-affect than something that should be achieved).

Characters: Valrien Dravic (Dunmer Magicka Sorcerer)

Scores: vMA (499,956) (Probably Null Now)

Mmorales3741

What about dunmer?

Kiiiddd

Valrien wrote on January 7, 2016

A couple of questions, if you don’t mind.

1. I think it would work good, might lower incoming damage down enough to cover its high cost, never used it on this guy. Might have to test this a bit. Also this build is not designed to "block" damage, you migrate the damage and heal it off. You reserve your stamina for when you need it for 1 shot mechanics

2. If you absolutely wanted inner light i would drop entropy and inner fire. But dropping inner fire for vampires bane would be better

3. The ults get jumbled around a lot depending on situations. If there is a lot of adds then nova would be good but normal boss fights I find the best defence is a hyper offence(War horn)

PRIMALmarauder wrote on January 7, 2016

RoyalTactics said on January 7, 2016 :

Is your 16k stamina from your CPs and food only?

There is also a 4th Prismatic on the shield's, so 5 in total. And on xbox they aren't cheap, not sure on whatever platform you are on

Mmorales3741 wrote on January 7, 2016

What about dunmer?

Should work good with bonuses to stamina and magicka like I posted in my race section. Also In this game race is only a small part that comes into play when you min/max. So play whatever you want unless you are a min/max player, then dummer isn't the min/max choice. Hell my race choice of breton isn't the min/max choice but I'm not worried

SolidSnow

nice build,I am gonna to be a Tank/healer ,rather a dunmmy only taunt and block

questions:

1、I think DPS in your team can suvive well without emergency heal.Because I think Puncturing Sweeps is good ,but as a tank/healer, maybe do not have many chances to uese that . you have to keep the taunt, block , and heal。

2、in your rotation, you main stay in BAR 1,right? just switch to bar 2 for resistence buff?  sometimes as a console player ,I hate to switch bar too often.Especially,in some suiation,swtich will lead to death.

3、for a new V16 templar (CP〈90),is this  build suitable?maybe resouce will be a problem? I will try

That looks interesting, fairly well structured and reasoned. Nice work!

RoyalTactics

Any alternatives for those of us who can't make kags or armor master?

SolidSnow

PRIMALmarauder

Valrien wrote on January 7, 2016

I personally think Foresight is a useless passive. That’s -80% spell cost for one spell every 45 seconds (assuming your potions are used on cool down). Not worth the investment if you’re not going for that many points anyways (which he most likely would have it anyways, but it’s more of a side-affect than something that should be achieved).

Actually, this passive can be quite beneficial. For example, if you did use a pot every 45 seconds and you used BoL here and your BoL costs anywhere between 2k-3k magicka you can save 1.6k-2.4k magicka every 45 seconds which equates to an additional 71-106 magicka recovery. Also, if you are low enough on magicka that you are using a pot to recover magicka and you're the healer then this will definitely come in handy for that emergency BoL.

Also, this is a healer/tank build, not healer/tank/dps. I see no reason to worry about DPS with this build, especially considering it is designed to allow 3 dps in any dungeon. Thus, I believe Apprentice is much more valuable than Ritual (thaumaturge) here. In fact, it may be wise to skip thaumaturge and pump everything into apprentice until Arcane Well is unlocked.

Valrien

PRIMALmarauder wrote on January 12, 2016

Valrien said on January 7, 2016 :

Actually, this passive can be quite beneficial. For example, if youdid use a pot every 45 seconds and you used BoL here and your BoL costs anywhere between 2k-3k magicka you can save 1.6k-2.4k magicka every 45 seconds which equates to an additional 71-106 magicka recovery. Also, if you are low enough on magicka that you are using a pot to recover magicka and you’re the healer then this will definitely come in handy for that emergency BoL.

Also, this is a healer/tank build, not healer/tank/dps. I see no reason to worry about DPSwith this build, especially considering it is designed to allow 3 dps in any dungeon. Thus, I believe Apprentice is much more valuable than Ritual (thaumaturge) here. In fact, it may be wise to skip thaumaturge and pump everything into apprentice until Arcane Well is unlocked.

Is Arcane Well to mark progress or something you actually want to have? Because the passive relies on killing enemies for it to even proc, which won't be happening much if you are truly going to be just a tank/healer. Also, even if the DPS isn't high, it's good to contribute to group damage regardless of how many DPS players you have. The OP sees this, which is why he has Puncturing Sweeps on his bar (healing and DPSing at the same time).

Blessed is a must-have to maximize healing potential. Elfborn would also be good to have (testing shows that it affects crit heals as well as damage, making it useful for both...although crit isn't high so the points you'd put into elf born would be better served in Thaumaturge even if it's not much). 100 Blessed, 30 Sword/Axe/Hammer Expertise for the Riposte passive, and the remaining 37 into Thaumaturge.

Characters: Valrien Dravic (Dunmer Magicka Sorcerer)

Scores: vMA (499,956) (Probably Null Now)

PRIMALmarauder

Valrien wrote on January 12, 2016

PRIMALmarauder said on January 12, 2016 :

Is Arcane Well to mark progress or something you actually want to have? Because the passive relies on killing enemies for it to even proc, which won’t be happening much if you are truly going to be just a tank/healer. Also, even if the DPS isn’t high, it’s good to contribute to group damage regardless of how many DPS players you have. The OP sees this, which is why he has Puncturing Sweeps on his bar (healing and DPSing at the same time).

Blessed is a must-have to maximize healing potential. Elfborn would also be good to have (testing shows that it affects crit heals as well as damage, making it useful for both…although crit isn’t high so the points you’d put into elf born would be better served in Thaumaturge even if it’s not much). 100 Blessed, 30 Sword/Axe/Hammer Expertise for the Riposte passive, and the remaining 37 into Thaumaturge.

Actually, considering the fact that he is contributing dps with puncturing sweeps, killing mobs/boss adds and proccing Arcane Well would increase magicka for group members. Seeing how providing magicka for your team is a role of the healer and is growing more important each week, I believe Arcane Well to be much more valuable than Riposte since this build "is not designed to 'block' damage" (see quote from OP below). 120 apprentice/47 thaumaturge would better suite this particular build, IMO.

Kiiiddd wrote on January 7, 2016

Also this build is not designed to “block” damage, you migrate the damage and heal it off. You reserve your stamina for when you need it for 1 shot mechanics

Eas007

Why not use 5pc Seducer? Seducer with spellpower on willpower jewelry will net more spellpower and sustain than KH with regen/cost reduction on jewelry.

Why the 2 divine pieces?

Kiiiddd

Eas007 wrote on January 14, 2016

Why the 2 divine pieces?

Kagrenac's offers more utility than Suducer's and while having more spell damage is nice, it's not needed. My BOL already hits hard enough for my preference, I am not trying to hit any DPS charts with a tank. Balanced stats are more my thing. High spell damage on a healer works well for Hots. As for the divines piece's, not sure what would be a better trait on a light belt and medium gloves. Reinforced would give very little gains and infused on small pieces isn't very good gains either. So that's why I have divines because nothing to me is better in those slots

Eas007

Kiiiddd wrote on January 14, 2016

Kagrenac’s offers more utility than Suducer’s and while having more spell damage is nice, it’s not needed. My BOL already hits hard enough for my preference, I am not trying to hit any DPS charts with a tank. Balanced stats are more my thing. High spell damage on a healer works well for Hots. As for the divines piece’s, not sure what would be a better trait on a light belt and medium gloves. Reinforced would give very little gains and infused on small pieces isn’t very good gains either. So that’s why I have divines because nothing to me is better in those slots

What utility? The res speed? Not very useful imo for a tank. I rather keep the mobs busy so someone else can res. But that's open to personal preference probably.

I run a HA dps with 5xKagrenac's (Divines/Infused), 3 Torug's, 1 Molag Kenna, Willpower jewelry with SP enchants and Atronach mundus. Good defense and nice dps/heals but it will run out of steam eventualy. I could go with cost reduction enchants but would lose to much SP for my taste.

Now for healtank I run with 5xSeducer (Reinforced/Infused), 3 Torug's, 1 Molag Kenna, Willpower jewelry with SP enchants. Good enough for most 4man content. I can spam BoL for days and still reach Spell Resist cap, and almost at Physical Resist cap.

For complete tank I'm currently messing arround with 5xSeducer (all reinforced), 2 Allesia's Bulwark, 2 Hist Bark. Same jewelry. This puts me at cap for both Spell and Physical Resists while still having lots of sustain.

In the end it all comes down to how do you like to play and what do you like to do. The versatility in ESO is great! Very interesting to read other peoples approach to pick up some ideas though :)