"Cryomaniac" Sub-Zero themed Mag Warden PvE dps bu

Cryomaniac

Sub-Zero themed build for Morrowind

Background: This build is something that I have been working on since Orsinium was launched with a Mag Sorc. With the recent addition of the Warden class I decided to resurrect the build with some tweaks and I've been getting great results considering how lackluster Mag Warden dps is currently. This build is an Ice damage focused build and utilizes the Winterborn set. The Warden's passives and class abilities allow this build to shine more than it ever has. This build has both flawlessed Vet Maelstrom and completed all non-hardmode vet trials short of vHoF and vMoL. It has decent single target (dummy/boss) dps, fantastic AoE damage, and a fun and unique feel.

Race: High Elf - far and away best choice because: 4% increase Ice/Lightning (our main) damage, best max Mag boost and Mag recovery boost

Argonian or Breton would work as well but when the dps margin is so thin for a Mag Warden already, race is VERY important for raid qualifying

Attributes: All Magicka

Food: Solitude Salmon-Millet Soup or equivalent CP150 max Mag and Health blue food

Mundus: Thief

Vampire/Werewolf: Vamp stage 2

Champion Points (630 point spread):

Blue CP: 37 Elfborn, 8 Spell Erosion, 56 Elemental Expert, 34 Master at Arms, 75 Thaumaturge

This distribution is the best that I've been able to use so far, it's based off a trial group focused build by a guildmate of mine who does great theorycrafting on PC. I reduced Elfborn and pumped up Ele Expert and Master at Arms because the Winterborn procs are a good chunk of our dps and cannot crit so I tried to boost the proc damage as much as possible. If doing VMA exclusively, take 2-3% out of Thaumaturge and pump up Spell Erosion.

Red Cp: 48 Ironclad, 49 Hardy, 49 Elememental Defender, 40 Thick Skinned, 13 Bastion, 11 Quick Recovery

Green CP: 15 Warlord, 56 Arcanist, 64 Tenacity, 40 Shadow Ward, 35 Tumbling

Red and Green CP distribution is much more flexible, again this is based of my guildmate's recommendation with some personal tweaks so feel free to tweak to your liking.

Gear:

5 pieces Winterborn (body all divines w/ Magicka glyphs)

3 pieces Infallible Aether (Jewelry all Spell Damage glyphs) *Moondancer/Master Architect would be slightly better but I do not have a set

2 pieces Valkyn Skoria (1 heavy, 1 medium, divines w/ Magicka glyphs)

1 VMA Lightning Staff sharpened with poison *if you don't have this then a non-set sharpened Lightning Staff with Spell Damage glyph

1 VMA Ice Staff sharpened *if you don't have this then a non-set sharpened Ice Staff with Frost Damage Glyph or precise VMA Ice Staff

Valkyn provides the second highest range dps for a monster set behind double Ilambris procs but since we are not using any flame damage we do not use Ilambris.

Winterborn is a set that I've been trying to get to work consistently since it came out with Orsinium DLC. This build really maxes out its effectiveness because it uses 3 ice DoTs (4 when using Destro Ult) that reliably proc Winterborn within 1-2 seconds after its 2 second cooldown. Wardens also have a passive that increases all Ice damage by 4%, which stack with the High Elf passive to further bring this set closer in line with the meta (Julianos and Necro). Although it is still about 2k less single target dps than Necro from my comparisons.

NOTE: The 60% snare from the Winterborn proc snares bosses and otherwise unslowable enemies, so that's kinda neat.

Stats (self buffed no major intellect):

Skill Bar:

(Lightning Staff) Deep Fissure - Inner Light - Harness Magicka - Fetcher Infection - Force Pulse -- Northern Storm

(Ice Staff) Blue Betty - Inner Light - Destructive Reach - Elemental Blockade - Winter's Revenge -- Elemental Rage

The only thing I change for VMA is I switch out Living Trellis (Green Balance) for Destructive Reach. This provides the self healing I need with a nice HoT as well as a burst heal at the end (or if recasted early).

Rotation: LA>Winter's Revenge>LA>Destructive Reach>LA>Elemental Blockade>(If Betty is down)LA>Blue Betty>Bar Swap>LA>Deep Fissure>LA>Fetcher Infection>LA>Force Pulse>LA>Deep Fissure>Full Lightning Heavy>LA>Deep Fissure and REPEAT

The reason for a Light Attack between the Full Lightning Heavy and the last Deep Fissure is explained here. Instead of waiting an extra half second, I was suggested to use a LA in between and that is what I have found to be best. Any questions on rotation leave below.

NOTE: This build does not require spell power pots OR MAX MAGES GUILD. We get Major Sorcery from Blue Betty, and Major Prophecy from Inner Light (which only requires Mages Guild Level 2). So for anyone like me who is either low on cash for pots, or really hates lorebook hunting for the 5th time, no worries, this build has you covered.

Dummy Parse Video:

This video shows the rotation at full speed, end result is 28.5k dps. This is about average, highest I've pulled is 29.5k but that was probably due to some unusually lucky crits/procs. The only buff applied to me is ele drain and this is with trial CP (75 Thaum). Other videos may appear artificially high because of things such as lightning wall, bear ult, spell power cure, or combat prayer but the current average dps for this class with a similar setup using necro/ilambris is about 31-32k, so this is only slightly behind the meta in single target situations. This dps is high enough for VMA and non-hardmode vet trials besides vMoL and vHoF, however until the class receives a slight buff, it will consistently be behind every other class by at least 3-5k.

My rotation and CP for this build were built off of that of my guildmate Dark_Shadow459. He spent a lot of his own time doing hardcore mathematical theorycrafting for his Warden DPS which I then used to create the best version of this build I could. Credit to him for his work.

About JXNwarrior:

JXNwarrior hasn't shared anything about themselves.

deflorate

Very cool build. Love the sub zero look you went for. Looking forward to seeing the parses.

nine9six

Love the look!

deflorate

I've this this setup with all my gear div, just missing the skoria helm. So far i've only made it to round 3 or so in vma. I find that i have horrible sustain or that when i pop trellis i don't seem to get the heal from it. I run max mag + hp food and i've got just over 17k. I'm not exactly at cp cap either so would that be the factor i'm missing? Currently at 400.

JXNwarrior

@deflorate CP will make it a bit easier but shouldn't be a huge difference considering the changes they made this patch to frontloading. As for VMA this might help:

-Always have Blue Betty up, even without enemies spawned

-Charge a Deep Fissure when portals start to spawn

-ALWAYS have Elemental Blockade under an enemy when you kill it, you will get 3400 Magicka back per enemy killed under the effect of a Destro Staff ability (passive)

-Use lightning heavies on tight groups to make sustain and damage easier

-Living Trellis only heals when you're hit, but this counts with Harness Magicka up. I try to keep Harness up 100% anytime there are ranged enemenies or heavy melee ones. To get the instant heal you have to cast before the previous one expires or cast it twice in a row

-Use Destro Ult on mini-bosses and big pulls.

Most of VMA is practice, just take breaks and watch some people like AndyS on Youtube (Oscarflip has a Mag Warden ~570k score video up) to learn timing and spawns.

Incoming parse video will help to visualize rotation for the boss fights, if nothing else just put DoTs down, use Harness, and heavy attack.

Hope this helps!

PatThetic

How would you allocate your cp for 300?

JXNwarrior

@PatThetic My suggestion for sub-max CP allotment would be to try and keep the same ratio of points across the board. So for 300 (roughly half) try and use roughly half the points in each constellation in the same spread. Keep in mind that points spent above X.01% round down to the previous whole percentage until the next X.01%, aka "jump points".

MaKTaiL

Any gear alternatives while we can't get the final ones? I only have Valkyn Skoria set complete here. Also, when does Harness Magicka come into play on the rotation? You never use it. Right now I'm reaching average 5.8k damage per sec on a target dummy with crappy gear.

deflorate

MaKTaiL wrote on July 17, 2017

Any gear alternatives while we can’t get the final ones? I only have Valkyn Skoria set complete here. Also, when does Harness Magicka come into play on the rotation? You never use it. Right now I’m reaching average 5.8k damage per sec on a target dummy with crappy gear.

I got my winterborn by farming normal MA on my sorc. I just did the first 4 arena's until i got all of my gear. It also helped me learn the spawns and mechanics of everything before jumping into vMA.

JXNwarrior

MaKTaiL wrote on July 17, 2017

@deflorate points out it can be farmed on normal. Good alternatives until then are necro or julianos with willpower jewelry and any random sharpened staves you might have (ice/lightning). Also I just put up the parse video so that may help you with sustain/rotation.

MaKTaiL

timjaxn wrote on July 17, 2017

MaKTaiL said on July 17, 2017 :

Thanks for answering. I don't think I'll be able to pull off the light attack to cancel animation though, I tried a few times and I don't have the coordination to do it, hahahaha.

JXNwarrior

@MaKTaiL yea it takes quite a bit of practice, if you're having trouble just put down the dots in order of the rotation and heavy attack twice with the lightning staff, should be a good start.

MaKTaiL

Last question: when does Inner Light and Harness Magicka come into play on the rotation?

Zeroaim

MaKTaiL wrote on July 17, 2017

timjaxn said on July 17, 2017 :

Thanks for answering. I don’t think I’ll be able to pull off the light attack to cancel animation though, I tried a few times and I don’t have the coordination to do it, hahahaha.

It's entirely muscle memory, so just keep at it. Try to do it whenever you fight something, eventually it just becomes second nature and you do it without thinking about it. Likewise with bar swap animation canceling. :)

JXNwarrior

@MaKTaiL inner light never gets activated, it's simply there for the spell crit and max magicka buff it passively provides. Harness I use situationally in VMA or trials when I am taking heavy damage or I know I am about to. It's not part of the rotation per say but it's important to use it anytime you're taking heavy damage.

Jovke

How big of a loss would it be to run winterborn + necro instead of winterborn +willpower +valkyn u think?

Alcasts build leaves out monster sets for moondancer in his mag ward build, but like you I am also a huge fan of winterborn

JXNwarrior

@Jovke I tested it with 5 Winterborn and 5 Necro with VMA staves and the DPS output was almost identical. The difference is that your winterborn procs will not hit as hard (due to lack of Minor Slayer) and you will have less health (~16k) and 3% less spell crit (IA) with that setup. Sustain will be slightly better however with 7 light and a bigger magicka pool. For trials i recommend the listed setup since it fairs better in group settings in my opinion.

Jovke

timjaxn wrote on July 21, 2017

@Jovke I tested it with 5 Winterborn and 5 Necro with VMA staves and the DPS output was almost identical. The difference is that your winterborn procs will not hit as hard(due to lack of Minor Slayer) and you will have less health (~16k) and 3% less spell crit (IA) with that setup. Sustain will be slightly better however with 7 light and a bigger magicka pool. For trials i recommend thelisted setup since it fairs better in group settings in my opinion.

alright, I thought as much, thanks for confirming ^^

MaKTaiL

What do you think of Iceheart Monster Set instead of Valkyn? I mean, if we are indeed "sub-zero" we should go all in with Frost damage, hahahaha.

JXNwarrior

@MaKTaiL as much as I would love to use Iceheart, it is very unreliable since the damage ticks stop once the shield gets burned through AND you have to be in melee range. In a trials setting you would have almost zero uptime on it. I did try VMA with it and I had better results, however it still paled in comparison to the damage from Valkyn Skoria. If ZoS somehow changed it so that the damage ticked for the full duration instead of being tied to the shield you could make a case for it, however in trials it would still be bad considering you would need to be in melee range and none of our other abilities require melee range.

VilniusNastavik

Zeroaim wrote on July 19, 2017

MaKTaiL said on July 17, 2017 :

It’s entirely muscle memory, so just keep at it. Try to do it whenever you fight something, eventually it just becomes second nature and you do it without thinking about it. Likewise with bar swap animation canceling.

Firstly, I apologize for the Necro, Inner Light, if you get Mages Guild to 10, and take both Might of the Guild passives, will grant a 20% damage buff to the next attack, so you could situationally use it when you are about to proc an ability you know is going to deal a lot f damage (e.g Ultimates, if you run ice comet instead of one of the other ulties, or right before you do Force Pulse. Bit of playing around. Generally though, yeah, no need to use it.

Question to the Author, Arctic Blast, I noticed you didn't take this ability on either bar. How did you find you're up time for Skoria's Meteor? Was there sufficient chilled enemies to cause Force Pulse to constantly bounce between targets?

I was looking at running a similar build, but I wasn't gonna take Fletcher or Fissure and slot instead slot Arctic and a back bar AoE heals. You too far away from enemies to make Arctic worth it?