Simple Questions - Simple Answers Thread IX

To avoid having hundreds of small question threads that could be resolved with one post and source link, let’s just throw every question you may have into this thread and keep the forum clean for actual discussions.

How to use this thread:

1. Try using Google or other search engines to find answers on your queries or have a look at our Tamriel Foundry site migration FAQ before you ask a question. You could also use Google or other search engines to specifically search among Tamriel Foundry pages (the typical command is to type site:www.tamrielfoundry.com after your key words).
  2. You may also wish to consult several pages of preceding posts in this thread, in case your question had already been asked and answered recently.
  3. Answer other people’s question only if you you know the answer. Wrong or unclear answers will be removed. Try to provide a source.
  4. This is not a thread for discussion or small talk. Anything that isn’t a question, an answer or the opening post will be removed.

Other threads you might want to consult:

*Adapted from Rial's opening post for SQSA VIII.

About Latin:

Salve!

I am a ESO player, a PTS tester and a theorycrafter.

If you have a query regarding theorycrafting, the posting standard and expectation of Tamriel Foundry or related moderating decisions, please feel free to send me a private message or reach out to me on Discord and we can discuss it.

Pulzy

What is the easiest/fastest way to find a clothier training partner?

Whats the best way to go from clothing level 6 to level 16?

ImShortGG

Pulzy wrote on November 16, 2017

What is the easiest/fastest way to find a clothier training partner?

Whats the best way to go from clothing level 6 to level 16?

Do normal dungeons, they drop intricate pieces like candy.

Pulzy

FrancisCrawford

Contributor3062 Posts

Please correct and/or confirm the following:

• There is a cooldown for any one player using synergies from the Templar Shards skill (either morph).
    • The same is true of the Undaunted Orb skill (either morph).
    • The cooldown is shared between Shards and Orb.
    • That cooldown is 20 seconds.
    • Energy Orb is the preferred morph.
    • There's no point to a Templar using Orb, because Luminous Shards is a better skill.
    • In particular, most players find it harder to grab the Orb synergy than the Shards one.
    • Difficulty aside, Luminous Shards returns both magicka and stamina, and also does damage. This outweighs Orb's heal.

General tips

A sorcerer leveling guide

FrancisCrawford wrote on November 18, 2017

The same is true of the Undaunted Orb skill (either morph).

The cooldown is shared between Shards and Orb.

That cooldown is 20 seconds.

FrancisCrawford wrote on November 18, 2017

Energy Orb is the preferred morph.

In general, yes. In some instances, one healer uses Energy and the other Mystic. Some may also find the damage of Mystic Orb desirable in dungeons or pledges.

FrancisCrawford wrote on November 18, 2017

There’s no point to a Templar using Orb, because Luminous Shards is a better skill.

Not necessarily. Pending on bar space and situation, I use both if possible, albeit differently. You can only provide one shard synergy at a time, but multiple orb synergies (based on number of orbs present at a given time). That means more players can synergise for resources at a given time.

Shard provides a targeted option, while orbs are directional; if there are 2-5 DPS towards a general direction, a succession of orbs will be more efficient than throwing multiple shards and hoping that the players synergise immediately.

Purely in terms of resource returned, shard is better because it restores both resource pools. But Energy Orb heals, and it also provides a good opportunity to proc SPC due to its very frequent healing ticks (0.5 s). To me, the relative utility value of this is higher, and outweighs the damage from Mystic Orb and in some situations, the damage and dual-resource-pool-restoration from shard.

FrancisCrawford wrote on November 18, 2017

It is more difficult because of timing, especially with sizeable lag (250+ ms). Depending on the level of anticipation, it may also disrupt your rotation because you may inadvertently try to re-position yourself to synergise.

The cast direction of the orbs relative to the intended target(s) also plays a role. I find that an orthogonal path is easier to anticipate and synergise. But pending on the fight, it may not always be possible/ideal to position yourself to do so.

FrancisCrawford wrote on November 18, 2017

Difficulty aside, Luminous Shards returns both magicka and stamina, and also does damage. This outweighs Orb’s heal.

Depends. See above.

kinettic29

What is bis for non pet sorc

FrancisCrawford

Contributor3062 Posts

What's the current thinking on Combat Prayer for 4-man groups? For starters:

• Nominally, Minor Berserk adds 8% to DPS.
    • Other additions (mainly from CP0 are easily in the 30%+ range, so really Minor Beserk's DPS contribution is likely to be around or below 6%.
    • At 8 seconds, that's getting you up to 1/2 of DPS per player per cast. That's not a very efficient use of magicka. It's also not horrible.

On the other hand:

• If the heal from Combat Prayer is actually needed, then casting it looks better.
    • If the heal is not actually needed, then what else were you likely to do with the time and resources that is more effective?

And of course there are plenty of groups or fights where your teammates aren't neatly gathered for a single AoE heal.

I'm torn. If I have Combat Prayer on my skill bar, I tend to use it. But if I don't have it, I don't tend to miss it much.

General tips

A sorcerer leveling guide

FrancisCrawford

Contributor3062 Posts

Does Burning Spellweave proc on inferno staff basic attacks?

Does it proc on Burning damage?

Does it proc on DoT ticks from, e.g., Fire Blockade?

Does it proc on the fire part of Force Shock?

General tips

A sorcerer leveling guide

Louis Dragonheart

FrancisCrawford wrote on November 24, 2017

Does Burning Spellweave proc on inferno staff basic attacks?

Does it proc on Burning damage?

Does it proc on DoT ticks from, e.g., Fire Blockade?

Does it proc on the fire part of Force Shock?

I thought that you are experimented player Francis,why that amount of questions???

FrancisCrawford

Contributor3062 Posts

Do "When you take damage" conditions such as Shadowrend's proc when damage hits your shield and leaves you at 100% health?

General tips

A sorcerer leveling guide

Jadax

Newbie to the game. Looking to enjoy my time - and for this reason was hoping to get some recommendations on good starting pve classes.

FrancisCrawford

Contributor3062 Posts
    Jadax wrote on November 25, 2017

Newbie to the game.Looking to enjoy my time – and for this reason was hoping to get some recommendations on good starting pve classes.

Magicka sorcerer and magicka templar are great choices.

• They both have excellent survivability from the getgo. Both have strong self-heals unlocked super-early. The sorcerer also has a pet tank.
    • Both are excellent in endgame. Templars are the best healers. Sorcerers are strong damage dealers, and can be OK healers.

General tips

A sorcerer leveling guide

FrancisCrawford wrote on November 24, 2017

Does Burning Spellweave proc on inferno staff basic attacks?

Does it proc on DoT ticks from, e.g., Fire Blockade?

Does it proc on the fire part of Force Shock?

FrancisCrawford wrote on November 24, 2017

Does it proc on Burning damage?

I don't know.

But when BSW procs, it applies the Burning status. While there is normally no cooldown for Burning statuses (i.e. multiples can overwrite each other), the BSW proc effect has a cooldown (see tooltip). As I was unable to proc Burning during this cooldown period on the PTS, I am not sure whether this proc cooldown prevents the Burning status from being applied by all other sources in that period of time. Further testing or clarification from previous testing is required in this regards.

FrancisCrawford wrote on November 24, 2017

Do “When you take damage” conditions such as Shadowrend’s proc when damage hits your shield and leaves you at 100% health?

Louis Dragonheart

I have a question refering to race and class.

I am playing an Altmer magicka Nightblade but i am using that:

I call it the Blood Mage and can be used for both single and group damage:

Bar1 Destruction Staff (Fire): Swallow Soul,Inner Light,Elemental Drain (or the other morph,both are good),Siphoning Attacks,Crippling Grasp,(Ultimate) Soul Tether.

Bar2 Destruction Staff (Lightning):Unstable Wall of Elements,Inner Light,Pulsar,Sap Essence,Healthy Offering,(Ultimate) Eye of the Storm/Meteor (both are good)

I feel like is better to use a Breton for that,actually i am lvl 15 with my Altmer. I am in time to rectify. Also with Altmer i need to change Swallow Soul for Crushing Shock (des staff) but i wont have the life steal skill anymore. I am about to unlock Siphoning Attacks,so maybe i do not need Swallow Soul anymore,but i noticed that Crushing Shock does the same damage as Swallow Soul and consume more magicka than that second skill.

I have hope to use Crushing Shock better,once i advance to my char and unlock more skills,but right now,i have better usage of Swallow Soul than Crushing Shock,and consumes less magicka. I think that once i arrive to higher lvls,Crushing Shock has better usage.

But right now,i have my doubts,is better Altmer or Breton for what i want to use???

Ximinetto wrote on November 27, 2017

Altmer.

Regardless of whether you use Crushing Shock or Swallow Soul, a substantial proportion of your damage (namely from light attack weaving, heavy attacks for sustain, Wall of Elements and Elemental Storm/Meteor) will still be elemental-based (i.e. flame, frost or shock damage), and thus will benefit from the 4% boost from Elemental Talent passive of Altmer. Of course, if you opt for Crushing Shock later on, the relative proportion of elemental damage will become even higher, furthering the case for Altmer.

Conversely, Breton offers no damage boost from its passives. While its sustain-oriented Magicka Mastery passive may be useful for solo content, the presence of healer(s) in group content (with Elemental Drain, Shards/Orbs and/or 5p Worm Cult) will help you compensate in that regards.

Louis Dragonheart

Latin wrote on November 27, 2017

Ximinetto said on November 27, 2017 :

Altmer.

Ok thanks,i was about to erase my char.

Louis Dragonheart

I will erase the Altmer finally. Cus this build is a little difficult to use in solo bosses. Well,not a little,very high difficult to use. I died 3 times (also more times on bosses of Clockwork city) on the cellar in the mission to find Abnur Tharn. Simply,Swallow Soul is not enough to compensate the damage the bosses deal to you.

I will play a Breton cus Bretons have spell resistance,and this build it is designed for be a defensive mage.

FrancisCrawford

Contributor3062 Posts
    Latin wrote on November 27, 2017

FrancisCrawford said on November 24, 2017 :

Does Burning Spellweave proc on inferno staff basic attacks?

Does it proc on DoT ticks from, e.g., Fire Blockade?

Does it proc on the fire part of Force Shock?

FrancisCrawford said on November 24, 2017 :

Does it proc on Burning damage?

I don’t know.

FrancisCrawford said on November 24, 2017 :

Thanks!

Do I understand correctly that you think you've found a bug -- or at least an undocumented drawback -- in Burning Spellweave?

General tips

A sorcerer leveling guide

FrancisCrawford

Contributor3062 Posts
    [quote author="Ximinetto|post-689854|November 27, 2017"]

I have a question refering to race and class.

I am playing an Altmer magicka Nightblade but i am using that:

I call it the Blood Mage and can be used for both single and group damage:

/quote]

Some thoughts:

• Unstable Wall of Elements is much, much, much worse than the other morph, namely Blockade.
    • If you're having trouble surviving solo with a magicka character, use a shield skill, such as Harness Magicka or Healing Ward.
    • Reaping Mark is strong for solo nightblades (magicka and stamina alike) when fighting difficult groups of mobs, because of the big heal.
    • I like Refreshing Path.
    • I like using a resto staff on magicka characters when leveling them up, and even at max, except perhaps on sorcerers.

General tips

A sorcerer leveling guide

Louis Dragonheart

The main problem with my build is that is bad if you do not have spell resistance. My build was designed for be a defensive mage,using a Breton. I do not know why i played an Altmer knowing that,maybe for think that i am going to do better damage with the passives. But the build is designed for Bretons,cus Bretons have spell resistance passive.

I erased the Altmer and and right now i am playing a Breton,with the same build. Hopefully with the passives of Bretons,the build is easyer to manage on bosses. I had no problem on normal mobs,but bosses are difficult for this build. Specially if bosses hit hard.