Nos's "Molten Core" DK Build (Summerset ready)

EDITS:

06/03/2018 - Updated for Summerset

Race:

Dunmer

Attributes:

All in Magicka

Food:

Health and Magicka

Mundus:

Thief

Champion Point Distribution:

Blue tree:

Master at Arms 44, Elemental Expert 64, Elfborn 48, Spell Erosion 28, Thaumaturge 61, Staff Expert 5

Gear:

5 light/1 Medium/ 1 Heavy

3  Burning Spellweave Jewelry - Arcane with Spell Damage Enchants

5  Perfected Siroria Armor Divines with Magicka Enchants

2 Zaan Divines Armor with Magicka Enchants

1  Burning Spellweave Infused Fire staff (Fire/Prismatic Enchant) (Front Bar)

1  Infused vMA Inferno staff (Spell Damage enchant) (Back Bar)

Bar Setup:

Main Bar (BSW Staff): Inner Light, Burning Embers, Engulfing Flame, Spell Symmetry, Molten Whip (Flame Lash). Ultimate - Destro Ult

Offbar (vMA Staff): Inner Light (Replace with Shield when needed), Eruption, Elemental Blockade, Rearming Trap, Flames of Oblivion. Ultimate - Standard of Might.

Rotation:

Pre Rotation: Spell Symmetry

Step 1: FHA>Eruption>LA>Flames of Oblivion>LA>Rearming trap>LA>Standard of Might>Bar Swap

Step 2: LA>Engulfing Flame>LA>Burning Embers>Bar Swap>LA>Elemental Blockade>Barswap

Step 3: (LA>Molten Whip) x 5>LA>Engulfing Flame>LA>Burning Embers>Bar Swap>LA>Elemental Blockade

Step 4: LA>Eruption>LA>Flames of Oblivion>LA>Rearming trap>Bar Swap>LA>Spell Symmetry>LA>Molten Whip

Repeat from Step 2.

Rotation Video:

About Nosferatuzod:

Nosferatuzod hasn't shared anything about themselves.

Asayre

Wow you're got a guide for every magicka class. Are you going to start branching out into the stam builds as well?

Introduction to PvE Damage Calculation

Nosferatuzod

Member2010 Posts

Yes I've been running calculations for a week for my stamplar, but I wanna make him unique - 2H front bar...not sure if it's viable yet...if not, I'll still be posting one...

Nosferatuzod

Member2010 Posts
    Asayre wrote on April 8, 2016

Wow you’re got a guide for every magicka class. Are you going to start branching out into the stam builds as well?

I've also been trying very hard to justify DW mainbar and realized that it is straight up impossible on a a DK who medium weaves. But may be possible if he only light attacks...have to test though...

pretzl

Very, very interesting!

I do have to disagree on skoria + medi weaving outperforming kena + light as I tested this extensively. I'll be running DW backbar in vMoL aswell, but I can tell you right now that DW mainbar isn't even worth testing. It adds absolutely nothing as weaving is far too important. Weaving DW is harder and hits like a wer noodle.

Eager to see your parses!

Characters | pretzL (Magicka NB) , Brannbil (Stamina Templar) , Spicy pretzL (Magicka DK) Campingbil (Magicka Sorc)

Guilds | HODOR & Who Pulled

Magicka DK Build | Kindling Power

twitch.tv/pretzLcsgo

Yes, skill choices for DK are quite limited.

Well done on covering all the magicka class builds.

Nosferatuzod

Member2010 Posts
    pretzl wrote on April 8, 2016

Very, very interesting!

I do have to disagree on skoria + medi weaving outperforming kena + light as I tested this extensively. I’ll be running DW backbar in vMoL aswell, but I can tell you right now that DW mainbar isn’t even worth testing. It adds absolutely nothing as weaving is far too important. Weaving DW is harder and hits like a wer noodle.

Eager to see your parses!

Here was my whole rationale for even considering DW main bar:

1. In your parse LA amounts to only around 6% of your dps. DW mainbar with the setup I am thinking of would by itself give you 8% more. When you factor in the additional damage from the extra whips you would be able to cast (I managed 4 LA weaves in the time it takes to do 1 whip, but I guess up to 6 is possible). You net a significant boost to DPS. DW mainbar becomes more difficult to justify when the LA or MA dps percentage contribution goes above 12%. I will have to prove this of course and I'm planning on trying, but my priority atm is to get some good parses for my NB. After this I will commit fully to my DK.

P.S: Just to clarify if trying DW mainbar you would not be weaving on your front bar, only on back bar. You would utilize the extra time saved from not weaving to cast whips.

Flak

Nice guide, I run very similar skills, just using Proxy Det instead of Talons. I highly doubt that Skoria outparses Kena, the chance increase is not really important since it still has a cooldown. Sure, Kena is not very effective if you are not using light attacks, I only use them to proc it, then switch to MA.

Nosferatuzod

Member2010 Posts
    Flak wrote on April 8, 2016

Yeah for a magicka DK unfortunately all builds will be pretty similar since most skills are mandatory and only trap is optional...

The best way to utilize Kena is to of course do the switch as you say, but since the buff length is only 6 seconds you will only be able to get 3-4 MA before you have to light weave again. So a large proportion of your medium weaves is lost. Medium weaves are not just slightly stronger than light weaves, the way I charge them they do double the light weave damage and thus their loss is significant. But ultimately you can always run this set up with Kena instead of Skoria and get all of the buffs:)

Canis-dingo

Do you wear mostly light armor, with 1 medium, and 1 heavy?

xBlackroxe

Nosferatuzod wrote on April 8, 2016

pretzl said on April 8, 2016 :

Very, very interesting!

Here was my whole rationale for even considering DW main bar:

1. In your parse LA amounts to only around 6% of your dps. DW mainbar with the setup I am thinking of would by itself give you 8% more. When you factor in the additional damage from the extra whips you would be able to cast (I managed 4 LA weaves in the time it takes to do 1 whip, but I guess up to 6 is possible). You net a significant boost to DPS. DW mainbar becomes more difficult to justify when the LA or MA dps percentage contribution goes above 12%. I will have to prove this of course and I’m planning on trying, but my priority atm is to get some good parses for my NB. After this I will commit fully to my DK.

Well I wouldn´t use that Mage parse as those LA´s are not possible to be with Maelstrom Inferno Staff. I can only use my  NB parses for LA damage as I dont have screenshots of my DK with Kena atm. But there should be no difference in LA damage.

So my average LA damage is around 7-7.5k and if I look a my or pretzls Whip parses they are between 15-18k. So if you say you can get 4-6 LA´s in 1 whip. So and extra whip without LA weaving is actually a DPS loss.

Chars: -Blackroxe (Dunmer Sorcerer)

Scores (One Tamriel): vDSA 47.683, vMOL 163.308, vSO 171.353, vHRC 154.149

Guild: HODOR

xBlackroxe

Nosferatuzod wrote on April 8, 2016

Flak said on April 8, 2016 :

What´s your normal LA and MA damage? Mine only go from 7-7.5k to 9.5-10k So the increase is not that extreme for me as you say.

Chars: -Blackroxe (Dunmer Sorcerer)

Scores (One Tamriel): vDSA 47.683, vMOL 163.308, vSO 171.353, vHRC 154.149

Guild: HODOR

Nosferatuzod

Member2010 Posts
    Canis-dingo wrote on April 8, 2016

Do you wear mostly light armor, with 1 medium, and 1 heavy?

Yes 5 light 1 medium 1 heavy

Nosferatuzod

Member2010 Posts
    xBlackroxe wrote on April 8, 2016

Nosferatuzod said on April 8, 2016 :

Well I wouldn´t use that Mage parse as those LA´s are not possible to be with Maelstrom Inferno Staff. I can only use my NB parses for LA damage as I dont have screenshots of my DK with Kena atm. But there should be no difference in LA damage.

xBlackroxe wrote on April 8, 2016

Nosferatuzod said on April 8, 2016 :

LA usually ranges between 6 and 7k (I'm an altmer...made this guy back at the start when I was a noob). Medium weaves average 10-11k. My average whip hits slightly less than 3 LA. I was able to do 4 LA during the span of one Whip. So you lose the damage equivalent of slightly more than one LA every 4 seconds, but you gain 8%+ damage boost to all of your skills every second. That's why I say it becomes competitive. However as I stated above if you medium weave it becomes almost impossible to ever justify DW since Medium weave is just too strong. As to what parses I used, Yolo posted a Rakhatt parse and this parse was one of many I used when looking at the viability of DW mainbar. Keep in mind you would still weave your back bar skills when you cast them, it's the front bar you would no longer weave. Also staff backbar would still allow you to open with a fully charged heavy, which is amazing for short fight DPS boost.

AlfonsoV

You got some parses already with your DW off bar?

Alfonso V Magplar // Pussy C Stamplar // Florence N Magplar // Sookie S MagplarKe'the Mag DK // G'reth Stam DKDiamond KK Magblade // Dorleen L Magblade // Kitty K StambladeLuna L Magsorc // Shark Ira StamsorcPo Ca Hon Tas Magwarden GUILD HODOR

Nosferatuzod

Member2010 Posts
    AlfonsoV wrote on April 10, 2016

You got some parses already with your DW off bar?

Not going to post any for a while since DW only offers a real benefit with 5 piece moondancer and I specifically need 3 jewelry 2 swords...until I get these items DW back bar on single target is a dps loss...this whole build is built around that set. Using DW backbar would only add dps in trash otherwise...

AlfonsoV

So you claim this theory will out nr the current meta based on..?

Cause we all know tests on Pts might slightly differ from tests on live. Cause I yet have to see how this 5th piece synergy will work out in the end

Nosferatuzod

Member2010 Posts
    AlfonsoV wrote on April 10, 2016

So you claim this theory will out nr the current meta based on..?

The current meta is the same meta that has been around for the past year. From using this set on the pts I can see the benefits that it offers. You have to agree that if the set works the same way as it did on the pts it would be hard to pass up that extra 448 or 560 (buffed) spell damage. Since there is no reason to believe that they changed the set to only being able to proc once (why would they do that) it is safe to assume that it still works this way and thus will outperform staff/staff...however as I say above it is all theory at this point and I would NOT recommend people to do staff/DW  without this set as it is a dps loss...

AlfonsoV

Yeah, that's kinda the thing, I just see a lot of theory and nothing to "back it up". And that leads me directly to my point. Cause in theory, there's also a chance you pick up the "regen synergy" a couple of times in a row.

And how is this set compared to scathing on a DK?

xBlackroxe

AlfonsoV wrote on April 11, 2016

Yeah, that’s kinda the thing, I just see a lot of theory and nothing to “back it up”. And that leads me directly to my point. Cause in theory, there’s also a chance you pick up the “regen synergy” a couple of times in a row.

And how is this set compared to scathing on a DK?

Well the theory would be to use jewelery and dw on backbar so you can still use 5pc armor + 2pc monster set.

But as you said I'm very sceptical about this set too as nobody tested how it works. For burst sure boosts dps as long as there is no cooldown on the proc. But for longer fights especially now how broken synergies are atm its probably not worth using.

Chars: -Blackroxe (Dunmer Sorcerer)

Scores (One Tamriel): vDSA 47.683, vMOL 163.308, vSO 171.353, vHRC 154.149

Guild: HODOR

AlfonsoV

xBlackroxe wrote on April 11, 2016

AlfonsoV said on April 11, 2016 :

And how is this set compared to scathing on a DK?

But as you said I’m very sceptical about this set too as nobody tested how it works. For burst sure boosts dps as long as there is no cooldown on the proc. But for longer fights especially now how broken synergies are atm its probably not worth using.

Agreed, but that'd mean you're fully depending on 2 "need-to-proc-sets". But just in overall, I was wondering if moondancer 5 pcs was tested vs scathing 5pcs.