Elemental Fury – PvE DK Heavy Attack Build (Summerset)

Do you play a Magicka Dragonknight? Do you want something else than the usual 5 BSW/ 4 Aether/ 2 Grothdarr/ 1 vMA Inferno Setup and still be raidmaterial?

Then this guide is for you! The Goal of this Build is to provide strong DPS on a Dragonknight while using shock and fire damage and Heavy Attacks with a Lightning Staff. I’ve tried several builds that use lightning staff heavy attacks on a DK, and while they are very survivable, sustainable and very easy to play, the single target DPS mostly suffered and I’ve never managed to get past the 30k sustained single target DPS parse (selfbuffed).

This build does exactly that while using only AoE skills, and in the right hands and raid setup, it can surpass 40k Single target DPS easily while giving your group a lot of utility that Dragonknights have. I’ve had a breeze in vDSA (46.5k score) and every vet trial with this, including vHoF HM, vMoL HM and Craglorn Hardmode Trials, no death runs for the DLC-Dungeons etc. I even got the Duelist Title with the vMA version. This build is flexible to the extent that you can do both a Melee or Ranged Version, depending on what you are assigned to within your group or what the dungeon or fight requires you to do. For solo play, the build requires minor tweaks, but I added a vMA build for people who'd like to get their safe weekly and the DK flawless conqueror as easy as possible.

Selfbuffed Stats:

Race:

Altmer or Dunmer. Dunmer gets 3% more out of the fire abilities than Altmer, and Altmer gets 2% more out of the shock abilities, so it doesn't make that much of a difference. I prefer Altmer for the regen and 1% more max magicka, plus you get better results in vMA and you have enough stamina due to undaunted infiltrator. Everything else is a DPS loss, after those two, Breton would be third.

Gear:

To understand the nature of heavy attacks, it is important to know that the Flat Damage Buff of the vMA lightning Staff Buffs every Tick of Lightning Staff Heavy Attacks and adds like 5k DPS to the Build. With summerset, we can use 2+5+5, so inflatable aether is very nice on this build. With this build in the group, everyone can go full fire build becasue infallible aether gives minor vulneriability. With the upcoming light attack meta we'll have less off-balance anyway, so we ight as well use aether.

Bar Setup:

Spoiler:

Front Bar (Lightning Staff): Harness Magicka , Burning Embers, Engulfing Flames, Flames of Oblivion, Inner Light, Thunderous Rage (For 8% Destro passive on this bar)

Back Bar (vMA Lightning Staff):  Molten Armaments, Eruption, Elemental Blockade, Channeled Acceleration, Inner Light, Standard of Might

CP Setup:

Green Tree:

Depends on the trial

Red Tree

Depends on the trial

Blue Tree

61 Thaumaturge

56 Elemental Expert

56 Elfborn

37 Master-at-arms

Rest into spell erosion and staff expert

Rotation Video:

Molten Armaments  > Bar Swap > Flames Of Oblivion  > Bar swap > Eruption (every second rotation) > LA > Elemental Blockade > LA > Chanelled Acceleration (every third rota) > Bar Swap > Fully charged heavy attack > Burning Embers  > Fully charged heavy attack  > Engulfing flames > LA > Flames of Oblivion > Bar Swap > restart at Eruption

Robust Target skeleton parse (alone, with Breach, without Ele Drain):

Keep in mind that these are Robust target dummy parses. I can get more on a normal one, but i usually test on the big one so one can see the consistent base DPS that you can get in trials and factor in Sustain rather then a bursty 3m parse.

Also keep in mind that every single ability and attack except burning embers is full aoe here, and that i suck at remembering rotations and screwed them up quite often.

Big shoutout to all the Peeps who let me use those weird Builds in Endgame Content :*

The build is constantly in development, so any advice in how to improve it further (while staying outside the box please, I know what is BiS on mag dks) is welcome! I will update it continously.

About Masel92:

Masel92 hasn't shared anything about themselves.

Masel92

Updated with DPS parses.

Pallio

Just curious on the und. Infil. set vs. Elegant set. Is 1100 >> 20%?

Masel92

Pallio wrote on December 20, 2016

Just curious on the und. Infil. set vs. Elegant set. Is 1100 >> 20%?

in this build, it definitely is more powerful. The 1100 are multiplied by all the four cp star increases and penetration values. And it stays on when switching the bars, so one can use illambris, which adds around 3-4k dps selfbuffed on single target, plus the UI bonus per tick. Elegance is only better on sorcs with overload and heavy attacks builds with inferno staffs in pvp, as the flat damage basis is higher there.

I will post a detailed calculation with all cps and flat damage buffs (and all alternatives, i.e. Elegance,  sergeants mail,  undaunted infiltrator) in the next days.

katorga

I'm really tempted to level up High Elf DK just to try this. I do something similar on my Sorc as my "easy mode" leveling, PUG dps build - elegance + infiltrator. Lightning staff is my favorite PVE weapon, the key is infiltrator carrying over to the other bar. Ironically, I got the named, precise infiltrator sword on a random daily way back and deconstructed it thinking the set was garbage (medium armor with magicka bonuses and melee crit? What are these guys thinking).

I find it difficult to reliably double proc ilambris and it would be much easier with DK. Sometimes I give up and use slimecraw (meh), Molag Kena (ok) or infernal guardian (rocks).

That 40% bonus to heavy attacks....My Sorc is jealous.

Pallio

How hard is it to get gold jewelry for UI set? Vet HM drop it?

Masel92

Pallio wrote on December 20, 2016

How hard is it to get gold jewelry for UI set? Vet HM drop it?

You can't get any golden jewelry from those sets, sadly. Only trial gear and some other sets that are sold in cyrodiil are available in legendary.

Masel92

katorga wrote on December 20, 2016

I’m really tempted to level up High Elf DK just to try this. I do something similar on my Sorc as my “easy mode” leveling, PUG dps build – elegance + infiltrator. Lightning staff is my favorite PVE weapon, the key is infiltrator carrying over to the other bar. Ironically, I got the named, precise infiltrator sword on a random daily way back and deconstructed it thinking the set was garbage (medium armor with magicka bonuses and melee crit? What are these guys thinking).

That 40% bonus to heavy attacks….My Sorc is jealous.

Glad that you like it! Sorcs can do awesome dps with heavy attack builds too, this was just and experimental build that I wanted to try out and it was a lot more powerful than I imagined it to be. Farming the UI set is pretty easy though. Just farm the lamia boss with the pet snake until you get the two swords, then farm the first boss until you get a unique necklace and a big divines piece of armor and then you only need a ring, which you can get from chests or the last boss. Problem is finding a group for it, as all.of the sets are considered garbage from most other players.

TarmoRhox

I was thinking about exact the same setup for my Heavy attack-based build. Glad that someone actually got time to farm and test it.

1. Why don't you use Burning Emrers - one of the strongest ST dot?

2. In difference with Sergeant, this setup doesn't benefit so well from "Off-balance" heavy attack buf because we can't allow neither to use charged (huge dps loss) on main bar nor use shock damage enchant (dur to vMA staff on main bar) in order to maximize Concussed uptime. From that point of view Sergeant is better

3. FoO is pretty nice "self-buff" as well.

Masel92

TarmoRhox wrote on December 21, 2016

1. Why don’t you use Burning Emrers – one of the strongest ST dot?

2. In difference with Sergeant, this setup doesn’t benefit so well from “Off-balance” heavy attack buf because we can’t allow neither to use charged (huge dps loss) on main bar nor use shock damage enchant (dur to vMA staff on main bar) in order to maximize Concussed uptime.From that point of view Sergeant is better

3. FoO is pretty nice “self-buff” as well.

1. Burning embers is good yeah, but it forces you to go in melee range and engulfing flames buffs eruption, illambris and meteor. Weaving in more would mean less time to channel the heavies, and that resulted in a dps loss for me. I felt that the Concussed uptime is good as it is, as we have a lot of shock dots here, with illambris, blockade and heavies, you have a lot of chances to set enemies Concussed/ off balance.

With sergeants, you lose too much damage on the other dots due to around 5k lower max magicka, which is around 500 spell damage for them. The undaunted infiltrator buff is nearly as strong (I do still hit for more than 20k with ticks of the heavy attacks, and you'd lose illambris, and 3-4k dps. Sergeants, aether and vMA lightning and resto is my vMA setup, and I'm currently at rank 78 of the EU vMA leaderboards, so sergeants definitely has it's place, but not in groups with decent support.

Flames of oblivion bugs out for me with inner light, and I think both morphs are kind of weird. It's damage is too low in my opinion to justify it's use in this build. To max out both illambris uptimes, eruption and engulfing flames (or BE if you want to go melee) are better to do that.

mariusz2304

but rwmember that basic attacks not scaling with magicka so 5k mag isn't same as 500 SD especially in this build

Masel92

mariusz2304 wrote on December 21, 2016

but rwmember that basic attacks not scaling with magicka so 5k mag isn’t same as 500 SD especially in this build

yes I know exactly that,  the formula for the first three ticks of heavy shock attacks looks like this:

0.013*Max Magicka+0.52*Spell damage-1.16+Sum of flat buffs, such as aether etc.

The shock at the end has a different formula:

0.018*Max Magicka+0.72*Spell Damage-2.5

So b/a=40.5 --> spell damage is  ~40 times more important than max magicka.

But if we compare the stats with sergeants mail (34400 max magicka and 2604 spell damage for me) with undaunted infiltrator (40240 max magicka and 2604 spell damage) the tooltip itself without the flat buffs is better. The difference between undaunted infiltrator and sergeants is ~500 per tick, but effectively, with cps, the other flat buffs and molten armaments, that is a difference if 1-1.5k per tick that needs to be compensated somehow. Illambris alone adds 3-4k dps on single target plus the increased damage of blockade, eruption and engulfing flames(not to forget about the ultimate). So if my math isn't totally off, it should out-dps the raw heavy attack damage of sergeants mail.

mariusz2304

Yes you should. I only wanted to indicate that generalization was incorrect ;) .

ESOJunky

usually have tank and healer rotate aggressive horn so guard isnt needed. what would you put on your bars instead? embers  and somethings else? also, wouldnt kena be pretty good here instead of illambris?

Masel92

ESOJunky wrote on December 22, 2016

usually have tank and healer rotate aggressive horn so guard isnt needed. what would you put on your bars instead? embers and molten armaments?

Guard gives minor force, aggressive warhorn gives major force. With warhorn, guard is even more powerful.

ESOJunky

ohh hmmm, id like to try this out but i only have a dunmer DK, which i dont think this setup would work since they dont get buff for lightning damage

edit nvm they do get small lightning damage bonus. might try it out afterall

Masel92

ESOJunky wrote on December 22, 2016

edit nvm they do get small lightning damage bonus. might try it out afterall

dunmer is good for this, use shooting star or standard of might as ultimate and you're good to go!

Gothos

This looks like a really interesting build and am planning to work up to it.  I have a question about alternative sets in the meantime.  I've yet to do trials so don't have any IA pieces yet.  I was thinking of using elegant as an alternative until it can obtained.  Do you know if the 20% bonus from elegant applies to only the base damage or on top of the bonus damage from UI?  Would there be a better set to use instead, maybe Sergeant's Mail?

Pallio

I like the gear set-up, just wish it didn't have 3 wasted (robust jewelry/weapon crit) bonuses.

Masel92

Gothos wrote on December 22, 2016

This looks like a really interesting build and am planning to work up to it. I have a question about alternative sets in the meantime. I’ve yet to do trials so don’t have any IA pieces yet. I was thinking of using elegant as an alternative until it can obtained. Do you know if the 20% bonus from elegant applies to only the base damage or on top of the bonus damage from UI? Would there be a better set to use instead, maybe Sergeant’s Mail?

As far as I know, it is applied after the bonuses, and elegance is the only viable replacement for aether, because with sergeants mail and UI, you'd be using no light armor pieces and you'd lose all passives and have literally no max magicka bonuses. So if you want a replacement until you get aether, go for elegance. You should be able to get decent damage with that as well.

Btw, I forgot that minor slayer doesn't apply to world bosses, so you'd have to add another 5% bonus to the above parses in dungeons and trials, so another 2k dps more. I'll bloodspawn it tonight and post a video/parse of it.

Masel92

Pallio wrote on December 22, 2016

I like the gear set-up, just wish it didn’t have 3 wasted (robust jewelry/weapon crit) bonuses.

Yeah that is a bummer,  but it's how the set is designed, so there is not much we can do :( there is a light armor version as well, but you'd lose even more max magicka in exchange for a spell critical bonus that lasts only for the time on your back bar, so this one is definitely better.