[Homestead] The "Boom Build" – Rambo style tanking for veteran dungeons

1. Profile Photo
    tkviking2

Adept

Total Posts: 177

Dunmer Dragonknight

JKwervo said on February 26, 2017 :

I just remade my DK to this build. Im missiing 1 more grothgarr piece. I also still need to tweak glyphs, but man….this build is just tooooo much fun!

thanks for this!!!

Happy to hear you are enjoying it. Until you get Grothgarr, you can substitute Skoria or even Nerien’th. But Grothgarr really makes it shine ;)

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Profile photo of tkviking2 tkviking2.
  2. Member Avatar
    JKwervo

Novice

Total Posts: 24

Would this be viable for Trials as well?

3. Profile Photo
    tkviking2

Adept

Dunmer Dragonknight

JKwervo said on February 27, 2017 :

Would this be viable for Trials as well?

You might be able to take it int vDSA. But for any other veteran trial – I would not recommend it. See previous comments on this thread for details.

4. Member Avatar
    zootermop

Scamp

Total Posts: 6

I ran the OPs original idea in a couple different variations, very solid and fun.  This latest version, OMFG it’s so much fun and I can carry low CP and low DPS people (not necessarily one and the same) through some of the harder vet dungeons.  Only downside, on block heavy bosses, Stam sustaining can be tricky if no shards.

5. Profile Photo
    tkviking2

Adept

Dunmer Dragonknight

zootermop said on March 2, 2017 :

I ran the OPs original idea in a couple different variations, very solid and fun.  This latest version, OMFG it’s so much fun and I can carry low CP and low DPS people (not necessarily one and the same) through some of the harder vet dungeons.  Only downside, on block heavy bosses, Stam sustaining can be tricky if no shards.

If you struggle with stamina sustain – consider replacing Thunderbug with Black Rose. That should solve it (though it deals a little less damage). The additiona 150ish spell damage from Black Rose should largely make up for it and with the insane regen you get – you may even be able to run all spell damage glyphs.

6. Member Avatar
    JKwervo

Novice

Total Posts: 24

What’s a good way to obtain that Black Rose set? T_T I mean…besides going into IC. lol

7. Member Avatar
    zootermop

Scamp

Lose resistances though…Not sure if re-allocating CP is enough to replace.  I still may consider trying it, I can see how with other tweaks like swapping to spell damage glyphs, I could easily bump spell power up significantly ~550.  Planning on making my other DK a tank for a weekend of grinding to get undaunted ranked up on her.  Was also thinking of trying to swap Baha with Leeching but not sure I want to farm ICP further, *shudder*.

8. Profile Photo
    tkviking2

Adept

Dunmer Dragonknight

JKwervo said on March 3, 2017 :

What’s a good way to obtain that Black Rose set? T_T I mean…besides going into IC. lol

It is BoE, but I very rarely see it on the vendors. Grinding IC is not too bad though – you only need 3K Tel Var per piece which does not take very long to grind. With Black Rose – you could even get gold jewels (they are 100K Tel Var a pop).

9. Profile Photo
    tkviking2

Adept

Dunmer Dragonknight

zootermop said on March 3, 2017 :

Lose resistances though…Not sure if re-allocating CP is enough to replace.  I still may consider trying it, I can see how with other tweaks like swapping to spell damage glyphs, I could easily bump spell power up significantly ~550.  Planning on making my other DK a tank for a weekend of grinding to get undaunted ranked up on her.  Was also thinking of trying to swap Baha with Leeching but not sure I want to farm ICP further, *shudder*.

The loss of 2K phys/spell is not too bad and can be offset with 100 points in the red CP tree. And the stats from black rose actually add a little damage too (since Homested, it has Magicka as the second set bonus).

Switching Baha for Leeching is unlikely to benefit you. Leeching is poison damage – so it does not synergise well with the CP allocations in the blue tree.

Farming for leeching is a lot easier now though. Lord Warden drops a named Sword in Defending so you can just speed run it on normal mode to get two swrods. The first time you do the quest – you get a named shield (in Reinforced) – so do that on two different CP160 characters and you are set. After that, you just need 3 random pieces and the jewels are not too hard to get if you farm some keys.

10. Member Avatar
    zootermop

Scamp

OK farming of telvar for black rose.  This will be interesting.  So far bought 8 pieces, 3 training, 2 prosperous, 1 well-fitted, 1 sturdy, and 1 divines.  FFS, Training, Well Fitted, and Prosperous shouldn’t even be in the pool of traits…Once I get it together, will report back on how the tanking feels against Thunderbug.  (I’ll swap around monster set between groth and llambris and give feedback. Think Groth will do better but LLambris has a cool animation ;)  )

11. Member Avatar
    zootermop

Scamp

OK, got a Black Rose set up up and running, feel that the original idea with Thunderbug is better.  Having said that, I’m still tweaking some pieces and need to move a couple of Black Rose pieces from Sturdy to Divines.  The Black Rose set up should still be able to give better DPS and better resource management with a few tweaks.  Just means more trader hunting and telvar grinding.

My setup:

Baha Curse – Neck, Rings – Arcane or Healthy (I forget) with Spell Power enchant (Will likely need to move 1 to Mag recovery)

Baha Shield Divines with Tri-stat – x2

Mace/Dagger Sharpened – 1 Damage shield enchant on Boss bar, 1 Crusher on other

Black Rose Infused Legs, Chest with Tri enchant

Black Rose Gloves Divines

Black Rose Feet/Waist Sturdy

Grothgar – Head/Shoulder – Can’t recall exact traits, but farmed infused head medium…

The physical resist is still a bit low, but honestly has not been an issue.  Maybe move to defending just for boss bar.

Also thinking of swapping grothgar with llambis, have infuse helm and divines shoulder for that setup.  (Side note, someone told me the proc on llambis can have both fire and lightning proc at same time, While I won’t believe it until I see it, llambris with Thunderbug setup could be interesting.  I may get a chance to try this soon, but my play time is limited with real life kicking me in  the nuts.)

Tip for anyone wanting to put a build like this together:

With the Hew’s Bane bonus in effect, I’m finding Baha purple jewelry and Heavy pieces in some of the Traders. Also a lot of people are selling gear in zone chat in Hew’s bane for pretty cheap.  Picked up 2 Baha Dives Shields for 3k and 5k.   Picking up some random pieces, can give more flexibility in putting sets together.  Black Rose is still low on availability though.

For anyone considering this build, it is fun as hell and you can carry people through many of the vet dungeons.  I think you could likely even solo a handful of them with this build.

12. Profile Photo
    tkviking2

Adept

Dunmer Dragonknight

zootermop said on March 12, 2017 :

Also thinking of swapping grothgar with llambis, have infuse helm and divines shoulder for that setup.  (Side note, someone told me the proc on llambis can have both fire and lightning proc at same time, While I won’t believe it until I see it, llambris with Thunderbug setup could be interesting.  I may get a chance to try this soon, but my play time is limited with real life kicking me in  the nuts.)

Confirmed! I can proc both effect at the same time on my Elemental Fury DPS character. You need a lot of lightning damage to make it worth it though (Read: Thunderbug procs are not enough). You are very likely to be better off with Grothgar.

If you make this work with Black Rose – consider investing in Gold Jewels for Black Rose. Each piece is 100K Tel Var!

You can counter low physical resist with CP investment. For veteran dungeons – I feel quite comfortable around 25K resist. For trials, I want to be around 30K.

13. Profile Photo
    tkviking2

Adept

Dunmer Dragonknight

zootermop said on March 12, 2017 :

For anyone considering this build, it is fun as hell and you can carry people through many of the vet dungeons.  I think you could likely even solo a handful of them with this build.

I have soloed Wayrest I Veteran with this build. Fungal Grotto I should be quite doable too. CoH1 isn’t bad either. And for Dire Frost, as long as you can get someone to stand on that pressure plate – it is a  walk in the park.

The most fun is the big squid in Darkshade II – this build just tears through them.

Now, I wonder if you can get all the way through vMA too?

14. Member Avatar
    Jdaigle22

Novice

Total Posts: 16

What are some low level sets that can be used to get his build started. I just got level 50. Any help would be nice thanks.

15. Profile Photo
    tkviking2

Adept

Dunmer Dragonknight

Jdaigle22 said on March 14, 2017 :

What are some low level sets that can be used to get his build started. I just got level 50. Any help would be nice thanks.

I would get yourself to CP160 first and then start shopping the guild traders for stuff. It is hard to come up with any <160CP sets that will get you going with this build.

Thunderbug is quite cheap to buy from most guild traders – a few thousand gold per piece. Bahrahas is currently double up on drop rates – so farm Hew’s bane and see what pieces you can get.

16. Member Avatar
    FAAmecanic

Scamp

Total Posts: 4

Ok so being as the Baharah’s Curse armor in heavy is no more since 1T, and I never saved Jewelry from when I did Thieves guild…what would be a decent alternative set?

17. Profile Photo
    tkviking2

Adept

Dunmer Dragonknight

FAAmecanic said on March 18, 2017 :

Ok so being as the Baharah’s Curse armor in heavy is no more since 1T, and I never saved Jewelry from when I did Thieves guild…what would be a decent alternative set?

Just use the jewelry + light sash + 1 weapon/shield.

18. Member Avatar
    FAAmecanic

Scamp

I’ll keep an eye out for the jewelry.. lookedat guild traders in glenumbra, stormhaven, deshaan, and grahtwood and did not see any jewelry and one sword for 40,000 gold and no shields :(

19. Member Avatar
    zootermop

Scamp

FAAmecanic said on March 19, 2017 :

I’ll keep an eye out for the jewelry.. lookedat guild traders in glenumbra, stormhaven, deshaan, and grahtwood and did not see any jewelry and one sword for 40,000 gold and no shields

For Baha, search for Hew’s Bane treasure maps.  Can generally buy between 200 to 1k gold.  I’ve gotten purple rings and neck this way.  Also got shields and weapons.  It takes a while and requires luck.

20. Member Avatar
    FAAmecanic

Scamp

Thanks…. I found like 5 in my bank that I have collected.  Ended up finding a necklace and ring … then found a ring in a guild store as well as two shields, sword and axe.  So I’m rocking the full boom tank build… what FUN :)

Reply To "[Homestead] The "Boom Build" – Rambo style tanking for veteran dungeons"

You are not currently logged in. You must log in before replying to this topic.