[Clockwork City] The "Boom Build" – Rambo style tanking for veteran dungeons

1. Profile Photo
    tkviking2

Adept

Total Posts: 212

Dunmer Dragonknight

If you like to play the game “Rambo style” this build is for you. With Clockwork city, this build just got an amazing buff. You can now tank in Light Amour (with all the benefits of spell penetration) and still be at Armour Cap – while maintaining a VERY healthy amount of magicka regen. As an added bonus, the equipment required for this build is dirt cheap and easy to acquire.

Update 2017-10-26: Updated for Clockwork.

Gear

• 5 x Fortified Brass (2x Heavy Body Pieces, 1 x Light Body, Weapon + Shield)
    • 5 x Bahrahas Curse (3x Jewels, 2 x Body pieces Light)
    • 2 x Grothgar (2x Light or heavy – in which case, craft light Fortified Brass)
    • Sword and Shield on both bars
    • Infused on Chest, Helmet and Legs with Prismatic Enchants
    • Nirnhoned on Shields with Prismatic Enchants
    • Sturdy on small pieces with Health enchants
    • Infused on the Swords with Crusher Enchant on front bar and Fire enchant on back bar
    • Healthy on the Jewelry (or adjust stats as needed if you can only find Arcane rings – see below)
    • For jewelry: use Magic Recovery enchants until you  can hit 2000 recovery, then top up the rest with block cost reduction

Get to 2H/5L or 5L/1M/1H – depending on your comfort level for stats (you will be slightly under armour cap in 5L/1L/1H). Craft Fortified Brass as needed

Mundus / Food

• The Atronach
    • Health + Magicka Recovery Orsinum Food

Race

• Dunmer preferred, but can work with any. Altmer probably very good too
    • Vampirism is awesome for this build. Feed before you enter City of Ash. When not in City of Ash – stay at Stage 4

CHAMPION POINTS

Blue:

• Thaumaturge: 75 (to unlock passive)
    • Elemental Expert: 56
    • Blessed: 56
    • Elfborn: 23
    • Spell Penetration: 30

Red:

• Elemental Defender: 49
    • Hardy: 49
    • Thick Skinned: 49
    • Ironclad: 61
    • Light Armour Focus: 32

Green:

• Shadow Ward: 95
    • Tumbling: 45
    • Arcanist: 100

Target Stats (with full CP)

• Get to around 30K health
    • When buffed with Volatile Armour, you should be around armour cap (~33K spell/phys resist)
    • Rest in Magicka, get somewhere just above 20K
    • You need to hit just around 2000 Magicka Recovery. If you feel comfortable with less, switch enchantments on Jewels out with either spell damage or block cost reduction

Bar Setup

Boss Bar

• Piece Armor – Switch with Inner Rage if you need range taunts
    • Burning Embers – DOT and self heal, spam this when low on health.
    • Engulfing Flames – DOT
    • Inner Light / Igneous Shield
    • Volatile Armour – procs our sets and helps us be tanky
    • Shooting Star (for the regen) or War horn

Trash Bar

• Burning Talons – DOT. Better than a taunt for trash, just keep them rooted and inside your kill radius (when you play the build, you will know what I mean)
    • Draw Essence – your self heal for trash. Gets more powerful the more monsters are around. Practically free to cast. Spam this and don’t wait for the explosion if you are low on health.
    • Unrelenting Group – batch them and burn them!
    • Ash Cloud – DOT and opener for trash pulls
    • Flames of Oblivion – DOT
    • Dragonknight Standard – DOT

How to play This build

This build is based on very strong synergies between dragonknight DOT (which we have a lot of) and the gear. You will be pleased to know that:

• Burning Talon, Cinder Storm, Engulfing Flames, Flames of Oblivion, Burning Embers and Thunderbug can all trigger Grothdar and Baharas
    • The DOT tick from Bahrahas curse can proc Grothdar (and vice versa)
    • Getting hit while buffed with Volatile Armour can set off the chain reaction too
    • For tricky trash (Big xikvin guys in vWGT, Atronach in vICP) apply the occasional taunt on priority targets

With this in mind, here is how you fight trash mobs

• Buff up with Volatile Armour and Flames of Oblivion
    • Place Cinder Storm on mobs and charge into the AoE area
    • Weaken them with Engulfing Flames as you get close enough
    • Generously apply and reapply Burning Talons and Chains to bunch up range attackers and keep everything nicely bunched up
    • Use Draw Essence as needed to heal (you do NOT need a healer for dungeon trash anymore)
    • Watch the fireworks as you proc flames, lightning and deadric runes non stop
    • Kill off any stragglers with Burning Embers

For questing, just run straight towards your quest marker, ignoring all monsters that might chase you – turn around when you have 10-20 mobs and apply the above.

For bosses:

• Maintain Volatile Armor and Flames of Oblivion at all times
    • Use Burning Embers for self heals
    • Make sure Bahrahas is up at all times for that constant 1K heal – note that you can proc Bahrahas with a shield bash
    • When the window of opportunity is there, switch to trash bar and apply all DOT (do not weave, as you need to get back to your boss bar fast)
    • If needed, replace Inner Light with Igneous shield on front bar for Stamina Sustain when blocking (you have enough Magicka regen to spam it)

A big part of playing this build is knowing when to block and when an igneous shield is enough. You are a armour cap or close – so most of the time, you should be able to face tank most blows. Only block CC / knockback effects – for the rest, pop a shield or just heal through it.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of tkviking2 tkviking2.
  2. Member Avatar
    Latin

Total Posts: 1195

Imperial

Interesting idea, but just a few things.

Block cost reduction (Block Expertise) got moved from the Steed to the Shadow.

Can the proc of a set really trigger the proc of another set?

Are you using 5/1/1 setup? Would you consider Sturdy for small pieces, so that perhaps you can negate the need for Shadow Ward in the Shadow, and instead focus on the cost reduction/regen?

You mentioned ‘decent’ DPS, so what is the expected range in single target fights?

e pluribus unum

3. Profile Photo
    tkviking2

Adept

Dunmer Dragonknight

Latin said on June 6, 2016 :

Can the proc of a set really trigger the proc of another set?

Yep. I can proc Skoria simply by bashing to proc Bahrahas

lock cost reduction (Block Expertise) got moved from the Steed to the Shadow.

Not yet on XBOX :) But based on the patch notes – it looks like this build will be even better then. I will update with any CP adjustments I make.

Are you using 5/1/1 setup? Would you consider Sturdy for small pieces, so that perhaps you can negate the need for Shadow Ward in the Shadow, and instead focus on the cost reduction/regen?

I am using a 7/7 setup now (and will likely continue to do so after DB). Physical resist without any +Physical Resist gear is a challenge with this build – so I will take as much as I can from the armour. +Healing received is also very nice as it helps amplify Bahrahas proc benefits.

At around 2000 Magicka regen and with 75 points in cost reduction, I don’t actually need any more resources. It is enough to spam Burning Talons + Chain + Draw Essence in trash pulls or to spam igneous in boss fights while keeping DOT going.

A possible alternative to Infused would be either Nirnhoned or Reinforced.  Physical resist is a bit below my comfort level in this build (only at 26K buffed in purple gear and 7/7). But Infused gives me that wonderful stamina/magicka combo that helps with both damage/blocking during trash and sustain during boss fights (since igneous returns more).

You mentioned ‘decent’ DPS, so what is the expected range in single target fights?

Unfortunately, hard to say on XBOX. It is nowhere near a well played NB/Sorc – but quite a bit higher (I would estimate 2-3x based on combat text) than my traditional Spectre’s Eye/Guardian/Bahrahas gear setup that I use for trials. Survivability on trash is better than a pure tanking build because stuff goes down so fast and is slowed all the time. For bosses – it is a little harder work to stay alive (I can feel the missing dodge bonus and armour values).

4. Profile Photo
    tkviking2

Adept

Dunmer Dragonknight

One thing I would really like to try is the combination:

• Leeching Plate
    • Syvarras Scales
    • Skoria

Unfortunately, I do not have 5 pieces of Leeching Plate. If I did, it might be feasible to create a stamina version of this build (taking Mighty+Thaumaturgy in the blue tree), 2 pieces of Medium and the stamina morphs of the DK DOTs.

5. Member Avatar
    Toro

Scamp

Total Posts: 6

if you think this can work with stamina, how can you compensate the lack of self heal? like loosing are heal from deep breath and embers spam (with in my opinion is what make the build work so good)

6. Profile Photo
    mrowmrif2

Total Posts: 4613

Khajiit Nightblade

Toro said on June 13, 2016 :

if you think this can work with stamina, how can you compensate the lack of self heal? like loosing are heal from deep breath and embers spam (with in my opinion is what make the build work so good)

you dont need self heals in group content unless you want to run without a healer.  it would work fine without the heals, but you might have issues with magicka sustain as a stam build (you need earthen heart skills to generate stamina, which are all magicka cost).

7. Member Avatar
    CasNation

Master

Total Posts: 975

Dunmer Sorcerer

Really interesting (and kind of hilarious with all the chain reactions.

FYI, something I found out while building my tank is that the new Nirnhoned is better than Reinforced for shields now. Something to consider for when DB drops tomorrow. Although, I guess those sets probably don’t come in nirnhoned.

8. Member Avatar
    Toro

Scamp

Total Posts: 6

Sorry, I should have mention that the build as is presented is awesome for pve solo and group (I tank vICP and vWGT last night with no issues). I was thinking on using it as a start point for a heavy dot pvp build using poison ad an extra dot and it could benefit from the changes coming to console (DB). so if i go pvp as magicka I can self heal with the 2 skill mention above but if stamina im not sure Vigor will be good for a 1vX situation, also im thinking for php to replace Bahrahas for Fasalla’s to keep the pressure of the dots and the reduction of the heals.

again, the build is working wonders for pve

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Toro Toro.
  9. Profile Photo
    tkviking2

Adept

Dunmer Dragonknight

mrowmrif2 said on June 13, 2016 :

you dont need self heals in group content unless you want to run without a healer.  it would work fine without the heals, but you might have issues with magicka sustain as a stam build (you need earthen heart skills to generate stamina, which are all magicka cost).

With Leeching plate + Draw Essence, you got all the self heal you need. You could even go with Malubeth if you still need mroe. Even on Stamina build, I would still use Orsinum Magicka Regen Food plus Atronach. This should give plenty of Magicka to spam Talons and Draw Essence, or Igneous Shield when in a boss fight.

10. Profile Photo
    tkviking2

Adept

Dunmer Dragonknight

again, the build is working wonders for pve

Glad you are enjoying it. I will do some minor updates to the build based on my recent experiences playing it

11. Member Avatar
    BIGFOOT

Scamp

Total Posts: 2

do you plan on updating this to db?

12. Profile Photo
    tkviking2

Adept

Dunmer Dragonknight

BIGFOOT said on June 22, 2016 :

do you plan on updating this to db?

Done! Only minor edits – this build remains my favourite PUG build in DB – it is a lot of fun!

13. Profile Photo
    shadesofkin

Expert

Total Posts: 255

Dunmer Dragonknight

I love running a leeching plate build, it’s a hoot for those days when I just feel like contributing a little dps. This is a cool build, very solid.

Characters: Elim Garak (Dunmer Magicka DK DPS) Antonius Cassius (Imperial Stamina DK Tank) Cal Terrace (Breton Magicka DK Healer)
    DK VMSA current high score: 410K 

14. Member Avatar
    BIGFOOT

Scamp

Total Posts: 2

Thanks for the update. One more thing I was wondering was do you have all attributes into magicka?

15. Profile Photo
    AuburnWings

Scamp

Total Posts: 3

I see you said you are running a 7/7 build; is that all heavy?  Wondering because of the Magika

16. Profile Photo
    tkviking2

Adept

Dunmer Dragonknight

AuburnWings said on June 26, 2016 :

I see you said you are running a 7/7 build; is that all heavy?  Wondering because of the Magika

I run 7/7 Heavy to get enough Resistance (if not, I get too squishy). It might be possible to do an even more DPS oriented version of this build by running 5L/1H/1M. However, you would not be very tanky.

17. Member Avatar
    Dark-Wizard

Novice

Total Posts: 13

Cant find Syvarras Scales/Bahrahas Curse weapons/shields. After 3 hours I found only 1 sword and 1 dagger with bad traits. They are very very rare. And never saw shields =( Any other (may be craft) set for alternative? Got 7 items and cant find final 3…

18. Member Avatar
    Dark-Wizard

Novice

And second question about ultimate abilities. Advice pls)

19. Member Avatar
    Keluznak

Scamp

Total Posts: 1

Which are the ultimates for this build? u skip them. And igneous shield isnt in the bars how u can use it :/. Can u fix it pls :D

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Keluznak Keluznak.
  20. Member Avatar
    Dark-Wizard

Novice

And what chants for weapons better?)

Reply To "[Clockwork City] The "Boom Build" – Rambo style tanking for veteran dungeons"

You are not currently logged in. You must log in before replying to this topic.