[1.6.x] Nybling's Magicka-based Sorc DPS (Champion Rank 90)

1. Profile Photo
    Nybling

Grandmaster

Total Posts: 2199

Altmer Sorcerer

Entropy Rising

(Disclaimer: Sorry I do not have any sort of fancy name for this, really don’t care to do any such thing.)
    (Disclaimer #2: This build is based on the # of Champion Points I have.  On PTS I did not do much farming, but fully intend to on Live.)

Objective

The objective with this build is to create a magicka-based Sorcerer DPS that can put up very good numbers against bosses in dungeons as well as generally soloing content out in the world.  Slight adjustments will need to be made to what skills you use depending on what content you are tackling, and I will do what I can to make notes of the changes that might be needed.

The Character

Racial Choices
    • I choose Altmer because percentage boosts to stat pools is incredibly good in ESO now more than ever before, not to mention additional regen and more damage from frost, fire and shock damage is very, very good.  Also Altmer are one of my favorite Elder Scrolls races.  Imperial is generally my favorite, but when I decided to go Altmer the Imperial Edition wasn’t a thing and then when it was, their racials did little to embrace a potential spell caster.
    • Breton‘s spell cost reduction or Dunmer‘s fire resistance might also be racials that some people may be interested in picking up depending on their own style of play.  Dunmer might be the preferred option if you make the choice to become a Vampire.
    Attributes

I’ve chosen to put 20 points into health and 42 into magicka, but I am also intent on testing out 25 health, 37 magicka and so this section might be updated here, but for now I have found that this works, but a little more survivability is never a bad thing.  I also put health enchantments on my primary pieces of gear (Head, Chest and Legs) and magicka enchants on the other four slots.

Mundus Stone
    • The Mage – I am currently using the mage to help bolster my pool of magicka and add damage to all of my abilities, so for most people I would recommend going down this path.
    • The Shadow – This mundus stone might be a good pick once 30 points into The Mage constellation has been obtained and our crit starts pushing 50%. I definitely want to try this later on to see what might be possible.
    • The Thief – Can’t really recommend this. Yes, it provides more spell crit, but with the way crit is now (10% base, 7% from precise, 10% from inner light and 12% from the Apprentice), I’m not sure this stone can be justified on most characters. Perhaps as a stop-gap measure until you have 30 points into the Apprentice?

Gear

One important thing is that you need two pieces of heavy armor. In my set up, both of my Magnus armor pieces are heavy. The choices of what pieces of heavy and what pieces of Necropotence are up to you.  The reason for 2 heavy, 5 light is that heavy has some passives that benefit us (2% more health, more armor and spell resistance), plus the pure armor and spell resists for equipping those items is an immediate boost to our defenses.  Plus, there is the passive in the Undaunted tree which will provide us an additional 2% health, magicka and stamina for wearing another armor type.

You might ask why not 1 heavy and 1 medium?  Well, the passives that medium provides offer us nothing.  I feel like having that second piece of heavy is a better all around option for us.

For the items above we will get the following set bonuses:

Necropotence

• 2 pieces: 900 magicka
    • 3 pieces: 900 magicka
    • 4 pieces: 900 magicka
    • 5 pieces: 12% max magicka for having a pet out.

Magnus

• 2 pieces: 945 max magicka
    • 3 pieces: 126 magicka recovery

Healer

• 2 pieces: 900 magicka
    • 3 pieces: 120 magicka recovery

Skill Choices

Bar 1 (Fire Destro Staff)
    • Crushing Shock/Force Pulse
    • Crystal Fragments
    • Bound Aegis
    • Summon Restoring Twilight
    • Inner Light
    • Ice Comet (Ultimate)
    Bar 2 (Lightning Destro Staff)
    • Mages’ Wrath
    • Structured Entropy
    • Bound Aegis
    • Summon Restoring Twilight
    • Inner Light
    • Greater Storm Atronach (Ultimate)

Media

12.4k DPS on Blood Spawn:

AOE in Spellscar:

Acknowledgements

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Nybling Nybling.
  2. Profile Photo
    Nybling

Grandmaster

Altmer Sorcerer

Entropy Rising

Will type up some more stuff later, this is just a basic framework.

3. Profile Photo
    Snit

Master

Total Posts: 591

This looks effective.  Thanks for posting it.  I can’t say I’m overjoyed to see this may be our optimal build, though.  When six of our slots are eaten by always-on toggle buffs, ZOS has really put the ‘FU’ in ‘FUN’ for caster sorcs ;)

4. Member Avatar
    Jouka

Novice

Total Posts: 19

How often did u need re-summon the pet over the fight?

5. Profile Photo
    Nybling

Grandmaster

Altmer Sorcerer

Entropy Rising

Jouka said on January 31, 2015 :

How often did u need re-summon the pet over the fight?

Zero.

Also, on the screenshot, “Zap” is the damage from the Twilight.  So yes, the Twilight did 1600 dps by itself.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Nybling Nybling.
  6. Profile Photo
    Tiberius

Adept

Total Posts: 192

Altmer Sorcerer

This build is very nice. May I ask by Bound Armor? Could I replace it with something else? Such as Curse??

7. Profile Photo
    Nybling

Grandmaster

Altmer Sorcerer

Entropy Rising

Tiberius said on January 31, 2015 :

This build is very nice. May I ask by Bound Armor? Could I replace it with something else? Such as Curse??

You could, I guess.  But Aegis provides 8% more max magicka at rank 4 plus more spell resist and armor to help bolster defenses.

8. Profile Photo
    Tiberius

Adept

Altmer Sorcerer

Nybling said on January 31, 2015 :

You could, I guess. But Aegis provides 8% more max magicka at rank 4 plus more spell resist and armor to help bolster defenses.

This is gonna should silly…I just hate the look. I wish they had a option like hide helm to turn it off. It makes us look like Shredder from Ninja Turtles, who was spray painted in while he took a nap.

9. Profile Photo
    Tiberius

Adept

Altmer Sorcerer

Where are your Champion points placed as well?

10. Profile Photo
    Nybling

Grandmaster

Altmer Sorcerer

Entropy Rising

You could, I guess. But Aegis provides 8% more max magicka at rank 4 plus more spell resist and armor to help bolster defenses.

This is gonna should silly…I just hate the look. I wish they had a option like hide helm to turn it off. It makes us look like Shredder from Ninja Turtles, who was spray painted in while he took a nap.

I mean, I like the look of Dwemer style robes, but sadly I can’t transmog anything to look like that.  I get that the look might not suit everyone, and perhaps ZOS will let costumes change the appearance of the ability at some point in the future, but like I said before, it helps bolster our defenses and provides 8% more magicka.

I’m also having to use 2 pieces of heavy to help keep up armor and spell resist because going 7 light is just not that great of an experience for DPSing right now.

11. Member Avatar
    Altef-Quatre

Adept

Total Posts: 103

• I choose Altmer because percentage boosts to stat pools is incredibly good in ESO now more than ever before, not to mention additional regen and more damage from frost, fire and shock damage is very, very good. Also Altmer are one of my favorite Elder Scrolls races. Imperial is generally my favorite, but when I decided to go Altmer the Imperial Edition wasn’t a thing and then when it was, their racials did little to embrace a potential spell caster.
    • Breton‘s spell cost reduction orDunmer‘s fire resistance might also be racials that some people may be interested in picking up depending on their own style of play. Dunmer might be the preferred option if you make the choice to become a Vampire.

I play a Breton atm. But if magicka keeps being fine, I think I will reroll an Altmer. Those percentage increase in stats from racials are just way too good.

12. Member Avatar
    DeathMagnetic

Apprentice

Total Posts: 38

Like your ideas. Currently playing Dunmer, and I have no plans on being vamp. You still think it’s viable enough?

13. Profile Photo
    Superflyguy

Adept

Total Posts: 208

Imperial Templar

Whitestar

you can toggle helm off and it works on the bound armour. go to settings/game play and hide helm.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Superflyguy Superflyguy. Reason: forgot to put where you change it

”Know the truth. Observe the law. When in doubt, seek wisdom from the wise.” – Julianos.

14. Profile Photo
    Nybling

Grandmaster

Altmer Sorcerer

Entropy Rising

DeathMagnetic said on February 1, 2015 :

Like your ideas. Currently playing Dunmer, and I have no plans on being vamp. You still think it’s viable enough?

Dunmer get a bonus to fire damage so that’s one element of your Crushing Shock/Force Pulse that goes up in damage.  Also, your light attacks with a fire staff go up.  You get 9% bonus magicka too so yeah, I think Dunmer is a relatively good choice, even if not going vampire.  That built in Fire Resist will likely come in handy in some future content too (all resists likely will at some point).

Superflyguy said on February 1, 2015 :

you can toggle helm off and it works on the bound armour. go to settings/game play and hide helm.

Good tip, thanks for sharing.

15. Profile Photo
    Nybling

Grandmaster

Altmer Sorcerer

Entropy Rising

Added a video + some stuff about mundus stones.

16. Profile Photo
    halfbadger

Banned

Total Posts: 64

Imperial Dragonknight

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

AOE SPELLSCAR GRINDING VIDEO

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I bet lots of sorcs would like to know what sets you are using and how much dps they can do without pets (show them because they cant work out how to subtract the pet’s damage from your total dps and add in another ability)

17. Profile Photo
    Nybling

Grandmaster

Altmer Sorcerer

Entropy Rising

halfbadger said on February 1, 2015 :

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

AOE SPELLSCAR GRINDING VIDEO

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I bet lots of sorcs would like to know what sets you are using and how much dps they can do without pets (show them because they cant work out how to subtract the pet’s damage from your total dps and add in another ability)

LOL.  I need to put together a picture of set stuff, but I keep playing the game and doing stuff.  Being lazy is hard sometimes.

18. Profile Photo
    Altmer77

Adept

Total Posts: 117

Altmer Sorcerer

Tamriel Foundry Community

Thank you so much for posting this Nybling. I understand that the necropentance set is extremely valuable now, but could you recommend a different 5 piece set to use while acquiring ideal gear?

19. Profile Photo
    Nybling

Grandmaster

Altmer Sorcerer

Entropy Rising

Altmer77 said on February 1, 2015 :

Thank you so much for posting this Nybling. I understand that the necropentance set is extremely valuable now, but could you recommend a different 5 piece set to use while acquiring ideal gear?

Anything that provides +magicka or +spell power ideally.

20. Member Avatar
    Crescent

Adept

Total Posts: 143

It’s incredible they have left racials untouched despite removing hardcaps….basically screwing over Bosmer, Nord, Orc, and Argonian even harder than before.

Reply To "[1.6.x] Nybling's Magicka-based Sorc DPS (Champion Rank 90)"

You are not currently logged in. You must log in before replying to this topic.