Tamriel Foundry Roleplayers General Discussion ::

1. Profile Photo
    Ungoliant the Consumer

Grandmaster

Total Posts: 1429

Altmer Sorcerer

Welcome to the Tamriel Foundry Roleplayers General Discussion.

Being here, we’re assuming that you have read the other stickied posts, or at least a couple of them, and have already joined the TF Roleplayers Group (otherwise this will be read only). However, if not, then it is recommended that you read the following beforehand so that they might answer any questions you may have ::

This contains more information than just the title subject. Worth a skim through at least.

Does what it says on the tin.

Just in case you haven’t joined the group yet, otherwise have fun trying to post in this discussion.

What is the General Discussion?

For new roleplayers… not that they’re often discovering this shadowed corner of the internet, this discussion forum will be the place you can ask any unrelated questions, or suggest / provide an opinion on future potential roleplays, and/or ideas for them; as well as a place to introduce yourself, if you so desire, and not just your character.

Of late, many of the long-time prisoners of the TF Roleplayers have been discussing in group PMs, but the hassle of re-creating and adding others whom come along to the group has incited the creation of this thread. As it isn’t a Private Messaging thread, it still retains ALL of the forum rules included in the Code of Conduct (though technically so does PMing, but they [moderators] are very lax concerning that as it’s typically between friends and the language used / topics discussed aren’t public) – this means… well, you should have read the Code of Conduct by now.

Regardless of this, the General Discussion will be friendly (up to the point of excessive passive aggressiveness regarding IC transgressions), but will never excel beyond that point – so no fears; there’ll be no harassment, bullying or anything of the sort; and you’re free to speak about anything that doesn’t breach the CoC. Most discussion will involve roleplaying, but the purpose of the General Discussion thread is to allow conversation to expand outwards of that. Here in TF Roleplayers we’re quite a close knit group, and so tend to talk about all sorts of things, in all the wrong places (OOC Chat… lots of Off-topic discussion)… and memes.

Anyway, I’m sure you get the gist by now. Enjoy.

”What is bravery without a dash of recklessness?”

2. Profile Photo
    Gladerunner

Legend

Total Posts: 5076

Bosmer Dragonknight

I’ll be here.

Waiting for something to be angry at.

If you want to hide something evil, hide it in something boring.

3. Profile Photo
    Jack Of Shades

Journeyman

Total Posts: 95

Altmer Sorcerer

Boy, I sure do love nattering drivel. I’m flattered we were all remembered with a mind that has not slept during said post. :D I agree though. A nice general discussion topic would really help with role play planning and general shenanigans  conversation.

4. Profile Photo
    apexpredator1

Grandmaster

Total Posts: 1355

Imperial Templar

*props himself up with his sword* Aye I’m in support of a general posts thread

I am Rellicas Bridene of Leyawiin… That’s who I am sir… I do not claim to be right all the time nor think I am. Merely, My mistress is lady luck… and everyone so often she whispers in my ear what is the right way. That’s how I know what to do… That’s how I know what’s right

5. Profile Photo
    Bardicnonsense

Grandmaster

Total Posts: 1047

Dunmer Templar

*kicks in door, covered in ink and panting*

I’m in! Put me on the field, coach!”

*collapses*

Obligatory stab at Wood Elves so @Gladerunner doesn’t need a colouring book!

6. Profile Photo
    apexpredator1

Grandmaster

Imperial Templar

Where is thy dearest Patelin? I miss the little miscreant

I am Rellicas Bridene of Leyawiin… That’s who I am sir… I do not claim to be right all the time nor think I am. Merely, My mistress is lady luck… and everyone so often she whispers in my ear what is the right way. That’s how I know what to do… That’s how I know what’s right

7. Profile Photo
    Ava Blackthorne

Hero

Total Posts: 3608

Breton Sorcerer

Hopefully we can get the next role play going this week :)

8. Profile Photo
    apexpredator1

Grandmaster

Imperial Templar

Is it a continuation of Captain Arenthia or a different storyline?

9. Profile Photo
    Ungoliant the Consumer

Grandmaster

Altmer Sorcerer

apexpredator1 said on November 20, 2016 :

It is a different storyline. I’ve mentioned HYDRA (changed the name slightly, to avoid references to Captain America) in the OOC, but they will be nothing in this RP except maybe a couple mentions of them (in reference, they will have no 1st-hand involvement in this RP).

10. Profile Photo
    Bardicnonsense

Grandmaster

Dunmer Templar

What’s the plot hook (if we have one thus far) in case I want to try on different character pants this time around?

11. Profile Photo
    Ungoliant the Consumer

Grandmaster

Altmer Sorcerer

Bardicnonsense said on November 20, 2016 :

What’s the plot hook (if we have one thus far) in case I want to try on different character pants this time around?

There are two, potentially. Growing presence of a new group, similar to the Veiled Heritance, and their attempts to do ‘shiz’, which will become increasingly notable. And the beginnings of a war between two ‘factions’ (not two of the Big Three, but rather two Houses).

The OOC should be up tomorrow, or today if you’re lucky; so reading that will give you a better indication of what you want to do. I’ve done the first draft, just polishing and editing (because Jess is going to have to take a look at it).

Also, pre-warning, it’s yet undecided, but there’s a chance this RP may make the move to RPNation (another site) in the attempt to bring in some fresh faces (with very strict rules) — though as more of the old timers seem to return again, that seems less likely. Up to Jess.

12. Profile Photo
    Bardicnonsense

Grandmaster

Dunmer Templar

Thanks for the heads-up!

13. Profile Photo
    Jack Of Shades

Journeyman

Altmer Sorcerer

Ungoliant-the-Consumer said on November 20, 2016 :

It is a different storyline. I’ve mentioned HYDRA (changed the name slightly, to avoid references to Captain America) in the OOC, but they will be nothing in this RP except maybe a couple mentions of them (in reference, they will have no 1st-hand involvement in this RP).

This is good to me. It allows me to come in right at the beginning. Instead of during the end. :P

14. Profile Photo
    apexpredator1

Grandmaster

Imperial Templar

I’m detecting a delve into real world politics through the use of the fictional groups involved in the upcoming RP

15. Profile Photo
    Gladerunner

Legend

Total Posts: 5076

Bosmer Dragonknight

I’m detecting a delve into real world politics through the use of the fictional groups involved in the upcoming RP

Well, most writing has an element of recent events. Gives it credence, inspiration and the opportunity of perspective.

If you want to hide something evil, hide it in something boring.

16. Profile Photo
    apexpredator1

Grandmaster

Imperial Templar

Not if its directed towards a certain light rather than going in neutral. Comparisons made of assumptions dont end well

17. Profile Photo
    Jack Of Shades

Journeyman

Altmer Sorcerer

Not if its directed towards a certain light rather than going in neutral. Comparisons made of assumptions dont end well

In my experience it can add a good bit of conflict generally needed in the plot. But only if one doesn’t take it too far. Weird area to dwell in. I’m still game for it.

18. Profile Photo
    Ungoliant the Consumer

Grandmaster

Altmer Sorcerer

It’s actually nothing to do with real world politics. Of course, politics can always be attributed to real-world politics, even if they played no part in its inspiration, but I took nothing from our current world-state.

19. Profile Photo
    Tonsha

Total Posts: 1230

Orc Templar

Stickied. I think this is a good thing to get going again, if people are still interested in the idea.

20. Profile Photo
    Ungoliant the Consumer

Grandmaster

Altmer Sorcerer

Regarding the dying RP corner ::

Things have been dreadfully slow for the past few months for a number of reasons. A drawn out and time-confused introduction to an RP that has failed to get started, a considerable decline in active RPers over the past year, lack of interest, and of course the inevitable outside influences and distractions of life.

Now is the Summer holiday for our somewhat younger RPers, and for the University Students… adults continue the same as ever of course… but this is at least an opportunity for a revival; or some reform.

Firstly, and most importantly, we need more roleplayers. We absolutely risk some such as the most recent couple that dropped in and dropped out with their almost irritating way of approaching an RP, but avoiding it because of that isn’t really an option when the alternative is for nothing to change. We’ve already discussed one way of doing that, which was migration to another site; over time I’m less and less inclined towards it, even though before I didn’t mind either way.

There’re obligations to Tamriel Foundry after 4 years of being here, and it’s pretty much RP Home for me. However, it suffers from the obvious condition of being both limited to Elder Scrolls and it not actually being an RP focused site, so people randomly stumbling across it is unlikely. A way around this is to advertise it somewhat on places like Fan Fiction (I’m in a Witcher RP there right now with a fantastic group of RPers, so it definitely has some good writers), or RPNation (occasional good one, mostly trash, but that’s inevitable given how popular it is) and some others.

So, that’s one solution to one problem. The next is our own interest in RPing on this site. Ignoring inevitable distractions of life, it’s clear investment in the latest RP is lacking, whether due to the lack of progression and clear direction, or something else. So first is to vote whether we attempt to revive this RP, or nip it in the bud and rank it among the great many failed projects and start afresh.

After that, it’s whether or not we alter the ‘appropriate number of RPs’ un-written rule. When we were popular, RPs just came and went all the time and lots of people were involved, thereby there were loads of completely disconnected RPs with a lot of activity. It’s undeniable that the pressure of other people posting incites RPers to also post, and things sustain themselves. As TF Foundry has now filtered itself to a select group of ‘veterans’ that continue to remain here, we’re stuck with maintaining only one RP at a time to ensure we can all keep up with it and not be distracted or put all of our attention on one and not another.

There’s been days when I’ve posted in one RP and just told myself that’s enough for a night, and left another RP for the next day. This slows things down for everyone involved in the other RPs. However, sometimes when things go slow in one RP, a slightly more active second can encourage an RPer to just get on with both, and even push them to speed up the slow one. We’re going to need some kind of balance between too many and not enough.

Glade’s Civil War RP did well, lasted 6 months I think, we were all fairly active and it actually finished (which is a feat in and of itself). The current one… yeah we know how that’s going.

This is why I am going to propose two options (after we decide whether to abandon the current RP or not), these are ::

– We keep two RPs going at any given time. Even if one slows down, it gives people a reason to keep checking up on the site and to post.

– We completely reform the RP format on this site. We create a thread for each of the provinces, and within those we have our characters roleplaying. This would drive a far more character focused roleplay, rather than story. It would allow us to generate character arcs that deepen the story of our characters, grant more insight into their past, their personalities and would definitely personalise the RPs more.

This method does encourage having about 2 or 3 characters to RP, so that we aren’t limited to only the one province at a time, which thereby limits also our interactivity with each other.

i.e I could have Taure in the Summerset Isles for a few weeks of roleplaying whatever I’m doing with him at the time, and could resultantly interact with anyone in the Summerset Isles (assuming he travelled to where they were). I could also have Evangeline in Cyrodiil and Amelie/Annalise in High Rock interacting with any characters in those regions, and at any time travel to another region and transfer to that RP as they travel.

It’d be a lot more like roleplaying in a world rather than a story. Now, if there are any reservations, the reason I suggested this is because it is the format of roleplaying that the Witcher RP I’m in has. It’s very active, with about 10 of us consistently posting.

https://www.fanfiction.net/forum/A-Witcher-RP/150326/

And that is the link to check it out so you can see how it works. (NOTE :: Yeah, I used Amelie/Annalise and Evangeline in this too… I’m attached to my characters, I just switch up their backstory and stick ‘em in another universe).

Not that you will read any of it, but the stories in this RP are extremely personal. My entire character arc with Evangeline has been establishing her past, meeting some key figures in her personal story and also interacting and establishing relations with the other RPers (i.e make enemies with most of them, and get involved in a sarcastic battle of the sexualities with a female Witcher that is intent on bedding a straight girl… don’t ask).

I think it would be a good step forward. Plot focused RPs have worked wonders for us, but usually when the plot is accompanied by a strong personal attachment from our characters, and so to have individual plots that centralise on that personal attachment, whilst involving and affecting the other characters would possibly incite a little more interest into the site… I hope.

————————-

Anyway, my two cents. I don’t want to see TF Foundry fade out, because I love this place. However, I think to avoid that we’re going to need to make some changes for sure.

EDIT — Forgot to tag anyone…

@Gladerunner @Ava-Blackthorne @Bardicnonsense @apexpredator1 @Patelin-JR @KRONOS (maybe… I mean, you lurk sometimes)

That’s the current lot… but if anyone else is reading this, please share your opinion. Returning golden oldie or newcomers… just, we’re pretty desperate right now.

Reply To "Tamriel Foundry Roleplayers General Discussion ::"

You are not currently logged in. You must log in before replying to this topic.